Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Acorns...you got em? >

Acorns...you got em?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Acorns...you got em?

Old 09-26-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Acorns...you got em?

Hello All,
Is it just me or am I expecting acorns in the northeat a little early? Since moving to my house in CT...I have been rolling through the woods (3 years). Now I know its tough to get the same crop each year but can anyone tell me exactly what the crop is dependant on? Water...is all Ive ever heard but anything else? I have checked a few other local &spots they are producing some acorns...but not a lot. When hunting predominantly hardwoods..without acorns..your screwed.

Im gonna start going to parks & public places to start raking them up & putting them in buckets. Never had to chuck acorns out around my stand before?????? Gimme your 2 cents!

Ryan
Old 09-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Acorns...you got em?

In My areas (Ohio,Pa) we've had hardly any acorns the past 2 years..This year they are dripping off the trees like rain.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh PS...somehow even when the acorn crops were down..them deer were eating something!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been seeing alot of white acorns this year but they seem really small compared to normal.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

We don't have any oak tree on our mountain ecxept for the 250 we planted over the last 10 years. They are too small to produce acrons, though. The deer eat beech nuts on our property and browse in the overgrown clearcuts.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yea, there all over my backyard and deck[:@]
Old 09-26-2005, 11:11 AM

Never before have I seen acorns like this year. Sitting in stand, it literally sounds like it is raining. There are trees you could scoop them up with a shovel!! Hickories are the same way. Even the persimmon trees are hanging over. Unusual, because it was a very dry summer. We went over 7 weeks without so much as a drop of rain.

It is making for some difficult hunting, too. There is soooo much food out there right now, it is hard to pinpoint a concentration of deer anywhere. And, when they move, they move very slowly. I watched 2 doe over the weekend, and it took almost 2 hours for them to move 50 yards.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

HERE IN WESTERN PA THE GROUND IS ABSOLUTELY POLLUTED WITH THEM
Old 09-26-2005, 02:38 PM

I'm pretty sure they go incycles.Some years there'll be tons of 'em some years there's none.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:52 PM

You may have more red oaks then anything.red oaks produce acorns every other year.You need to find the spots with white oaks and them little acorns.They will produce every year .Yes water in the spring is a nessecity for good acorn crops.

Quick Reply: Acorns...you got em?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.