Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows >

17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Old 04-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Nice pics Hiawatha, but probably to the wind as these fellers are set in their ways. Looks indeed like that bev was shot seven times...Believe it, it is what the .17 does with one of those little pills.

Need a spotter for a 22....not with the .17 you can see the hit in the scope...
Old 04-25-2005, 07:57 PM

hiawatha it's me. i also never said the .17 was not a fine gun. is just not made for what some of these guys and you are using it for. so i am not wrong. if you don"t believe what i am telling you guys maybe you should check into a magazine called GUNS & AMMO. i'm sure you have heard of them right. they have been around only 40 years. they state that the .17 is great for animals of rabbit size or smaller. shooting anything bigger than that is irresponsible. maybe you should contact them and tell them that they don't know what they are talking about. i'm sure they will understand. oh ya about being on the board longer. your not thinking that this is my first name or go around here do ya.[:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 04-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

they state that the .17 is great for animals of rabbit size or smaller
this does not mean it cant be used for larger game. this goes for many calibers lots of people like the 243 is only good for deer and yotes, i have personaly seen a moose droped with one. sure its not the optimum caliber for the job but it gets the job done with proper shot palcment. this goes for anything. that beaver was destroyed but thats what happens with this little rocket it goes in and make a grapefruit sized ball of goo of the insides of its target.

missed another maybe you should go out and try this hot little little caliber instead of bassing your opinions on opinions you've read because they are just that opinions. extensive feild testing will tell the difference.

I personly am going to go out yote hunting with my 17hmr and use good sence and judgment so that i do get a good results.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:57 PM

missed another maybe you should go out and try this hot little little caliber instead of bassing your opinions on opinions you've read because they are just that opinions. extensive feild testing will tell the difference.
Very well said. Book smarts makes up a small percentage of real knowledge. Experience is everything. Personally i don't think people should comment unless they have acutal first hand experience.

One guy in magazine said a 17hmr richocet offa groundhogs head so that got people thinkin that its not powerful. but what prob ahppened is it when in a didnt exit so you could even tell. This is utter crap, i've owned a .17HMR for two years now and after 1000+ rounds have never had a single richochete or have never had one not penetrate the target.

Just goes to show that you shouldn't trust the magazines so willingly. I believe that a .17HMR can easily take a yote, i don't use it because i have a .22-250 so i already got a yote gun. I might try sometime in the future.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:53 PM

i can't believe you guys have not read or know anything about the GUNS&AMMO people. they are some of the most gun wise people in the country. maybe you should start writing your own articles about that little killer gun you got there. all you have to do is look at the ballist charts and you can pretty much see what the gun is good for. here is a another way to think about that little killer of yours. would you still use the little .17 hmr if the coyotes you are hunting had the dispostion of a grizzly bear. being that once they have seen you they would start their charge at you. would you really trust that pea shooter to save your bacon.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:55 PM

THE 17HMR IS IN NO WAY AN IDEAL COYOTE GUN, there now lets drop it.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:04 PM

hiawatha i have been waiting for ya. don't quit now were just getting these guys wound up. nothing personal just keeping the site alive. [:'(][:'(]
Old 04-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this means nothing about the argument here. But I can attest to what missed another said about 200 yard shots on Clay pigeons. I hit 2 stationary pigeons with a Henry 22 lever action carbine, with only a 3 power scope at 200 yards. Its not really that hard.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:43 PM

DAIRY KING it a lot of fun shooting a .22 at those distances. i knew someone else had to be doing it also. next time you are out with a friend set some out there at 300 and the 350 mark. the 300 and 350 don't come so easy but you can do it. it seems to take forever for that bullet to get out there. i use the spotter until i make the right scope adjustments. even when you are dead on the wind really pushes these little bullets around. really opens your eyes when you get dialed in. i knew these guys would not believe what i was telling them but seeing is believing.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:22 PM

You can call me irresponsiable or inhumane but i have personally taken a 256 yard shot with a 17 HMR on a seal that was estamated to weigh in at 300 pounds . This shot was carefully placed into the brain from a secure rest on the ice. I do not reccomend that anybody try or duplicate this act . All of this was witnessed by many people who thought that the 17 HMR was underpowered for anything larger than a rabbit. I hope this will settle a few arguments about the killing power of the 17HMR .

Quick Reply: 17 HMR Vrs 22 Magnum For Coyotes/Crows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.