Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Yote Hunting In OK

Old 03-08-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Yote Hunting In OK

I'm from the western part of the state and coyotes in the area have really been pressured this winter. They are mainly taken with rabbit distress, but many have become educated to this call. Some buddies of mine have had good luck with howling, but I don't have that much experience with these types of calls. I was wondering if there is a particular type of howl or call pattern that would work well for these types of yotes? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:20 PM

Default RE: Yote Hunting In OK

Check out this other post I read.
[quote][yotecalr
I run a coyote guide service and recently I've had great success using a combination of both howls and squeals. I'll start off with a series of higher-pitched howls answered by a lower-pitched howl. I'll throw in some barks and yipes to add to the excitement hopefully tricking the dog into thinking a couple of his buddies have just caught a rabbit. After I go through my series of howls, I'll wait a minute or two and start into a series of rabbit squeals. I'll go back and forth like that for ten or 20 minutes depending on the set. My reasoning behind calling this way this time of year it this. Many coyotes by now have all heard the normal rabbit squeal. By throwing in some howls, barks and yips, especially several different sounding howls and barks, you're throwing something new at educated coyotes as well as appealing to the coyotes that may not have been educated by a rabbit call before. Also, more than likely this time of year, coyotes are not having any trouble finding food so more than likely they are coming to the call to investigate out of curiosity or to run off a potential threat. Hope this helps you out a bit and good hunting! /quote]
Old 03-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try that this weekend.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:29 AM

Hey let me know how you do. Ill have to try a little of that to. Hopefully I get out of my slump this weekend a bag myself a yote.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:35 PM

I am from west texas, there I have always had great luck with a yellow headed woodpecker distress. Now recently relocated to COlorado and having a hard time finding places to hunt predators.