Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 need some tips on setting up on yotes? >

need some tips on setting up on yotes?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

need some tips on setting up on yotes?

Old 02-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default need some tips on setting up on yotes?

ive tried yote huntin before but with never any luck. but how do i set up on them? i know they are at least in the sorrounding area cuz ive heard them there before. how do i plan to call them in? thnks for ur help.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: need some tips on setting up on yotes?

Check out these guys, Haastylcalls They will lead you right and they also have call giveaways at times. I have two of their calls and they are great!
Old 03-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: mrfishy34

ive tried yote huntin before but with never any luck. but how do i set up on them? i know they are at least in the sorrounding area cuz ive heard them there before. how do i plan to call them in? thnks for ur help.

mrfishy34.....I had over 50 rabbits in cages and over 50 chickens in the chicken house.
Had alot of yotes around the property. I think if you will use a WOUNDED RABBIT call,
it would work. Works on FOXES too.

I think the RABBIT urine smell had something to do with it???????
Old 03-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, ive been doin alot of readin up. and i used the rabbit distress the most. some howlin and some fawn distress and some rodent squeeks. and so far nothin. but i think my prob was no payin much attention to the wind. i got to be more carefull when goin in on a stand. know i know to find stands and figure out were i want to set up ahead of time so when the winds right i know what ones to hit. and i have got a couple good ones already picked. thnks
Old 03-03-2005, 12:12 PM

Whats the terrain like. Is it very thick, or just open grassy plain?
Old 03-03-2005, 02:29 PM

Default RE:hunting coyotes

I've got a question. What kind of gun would my fellow hunters recomend for me to hunt coyotes? I am open to all suggestions. I have been usuing a 12-gauge loaded with slugs but I can't seem to take down the far away coyotes. PLEASE REPLY
Old 03-06-2005, 05:25 PM

there are alot of things to think of where going after coyotes. the utmost thing to consider is your wind!!!!!!..........for day time callin, ALWAYS have the wind to you, if you can, try to have the sun behind you on a good clearing that you are facing, and if you have a good moving decoy.......use it. A good start to the set will be 1-2 min. of a rabbit call then silence for 2-3 min. give him time to respond, and repeat for 20-25 min.,.......if no success, move about a mile away and repeat. Good luck and happy hunting. hope i have helped.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:28 PM

nyhunter81,,,, .22-250, in my opinion, is the best choice! as far as the shotgun....can you use #4 buck shot in NY? if so try it.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:53 PM

Yellow headed woodpecker distress works well. Predators are very keen. Wind controll is a must. Coyotes and bobcats will usually circle a call to try and catch wind or sight of something try a moving lure and defiently you need good cover scent and quietness and stillness is a must. Move your stand about every 30 mis or so if no response. Always remember if one dog comes in another will show up shortly. So if one comes in and you miss the shot stick around another will show up.