Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Western Rivers Predation caller

Old 02-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Western Rivers Predation caller

Thinking about putting my old Johnny Stewart cassette caller on Ebay and buying a new Western Rivers Predation MP3 remote caller. It seems reasonable ($249 for the caller with remote) and you can get a blank sound card and download whatever you want if you want to expand your calling capability.

Anyone out there got one? Know someone who does?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:10 PM

Default RE: Western Rivers Predation caller

i have western rivers seems to work pretty good. you don't have to buy a card to expand your sound. all you need is the usb cord which is supplied with the unit. western rivers has a site to get i think around a 150 differant sounds. you can save them in a file and use them anytime. just a click and drag. i have also recorded all my tapes onto my computer and changed them over to mp3's and you can use any of them. the unit has space for 30 minutes of play time so you don't have to use short sound loops. which i think is better. the only bad thing that i can see is that you have to step down threw your sounds. this why i only keep 3 or 4 sounds on my unit at once. also the remote works out to about 200 yards.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Green01

Was looking hard at Extreme Dimensions, Foxpro and Johnny Stewart but this one seems more versatile than the others and the JS doesnt come with a remote.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

I would not overlook the foxpro. Yes, it cost more but it is really nice and effective unit. I think you get what you pay for. I have never used a western rivers call so I cannot comment on them. I do know that Foxpro has the best costumer service of any product that I have ever purchased. Before you buy a caller do what I did. Call Mike Dillion at Foxpro and ask him why you should buy a foxpro. www.gofoxpro.com This guy fell in love with the sweet bunny blues of a foxpro.

Old 03-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Drove 1 1/2 hours to Cabelas to listen to the thing before I bought. The battery was dead on the display model and the two morons I asked couldnt find the charger so I took a chance and bought it. Brought it home and got a little surprise.

The crow/owl fight was a crow and a mourning dove!?!?!?!?!
The "owl" on the accompanying CD was a dove too!!!!!

Then I read the instructions for loading different sounds and foud that the extra memory chip I bough (for $89.99) needed a special USB cord for another $89.99! Boxed it back up and took it right back to Cabela's

DONT BUY THIS PIECE OF CRAP!!!!
Old 03-07-2005, 02:59 PM

btbowhunter if you bought the western-rivers you did not need the extra chip or the usb cord. those yo-yo's at the store should have given you some instruction on the unit. or maybe they did not know. but they are very easy to use. the unit already has thirty minutes of storage space. that is more than enough. the only reason to buy the extra chip is if you can not remove the free sounds yourself. all you do is save the free sound on your computer to make room for the changes. i did not think much of the free sounds that is why i loaded all my own tapes and sounds. foxpro is a nice caller but the sound loops are to short. i think you can only set them up for a 15 or 30 second loops. which i think is way to short. some of my best recording are 5 and 10 minutes long and were recorded in the field. but the foxpro steps threw the sounds easier than the western-rivers. they both have good and bad points
Old 03-07-2005, 05:44 PM

btbowhunter,

You might want to consider making your own remote caller.

They're easy to make, made this one for under $140 buying the stuff off of E-bay & Amazon, and if I had been more patient it probably would have come in cheaper. It consists of a Nady 151VR-LT Transmitter & receiver, a used Rio 600 mp3 player, and a Speco SPC-5P speaker and a cardboard tube. Also there is free software to convert the cassette tape calls to mp3s.

Happy to get into more details, if interested.
Bob
Old 03-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bob,
You've definitely got my interest!!! Is it possible if the potential builder is fairly computer/electronics illiterate? Cause that's me!

As for the WR caller, maybe I could have loaded all my own sounds. After hearing the mourning dove as their "owl" I sure wouldnt use anything from them!

PS I guess I should have been wary when I saw at least 10 of them in the "bargain cave" as returns!!! Didnt see a Foxpro, Johnny Stewart or any other. Just a Pile of Western Rivers.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:03 PM

BTBowhunter,

If I can get it to work, anybody can. The Nady 151VR-LT is a remote microphone for a video camera, but instead of plugging the mic into the transmitting part, you plug the mp3 player into it. I got the Nady 151VR-LT from www.beachaudio.com. The mp3 player is a used Rio 600 bought off of E-bay that should come with the needed USB cable for downloading the calls from your computer to it. (Hopefully there will be more color options than the pink one that I ended up with.) I had a little trouble with the Rio originally, but once I got the correct driver loaded it worked fine. The transmitting part of the Nady 151 comes with a cable that will plug into the Rio for playing the calls as output. The Speco SPC-5P Speaker already has a jack on the end of it's cable that plugs into the headphone output of the receiving part of the Nady 151. (If you plug it into the regular output port on the Nady 151 receiver it doesn't have enough amplification.) The Nady 151 receiver burns thru regular 9 volt batteries fairly quickly driving the speaker, so I built a 6 pack AA rechargable, but you could tackle that later. (This set-up isn't my idea at all, I read the info on a different board posted by LionHo & thru e-mails w/ MikeH.)

As far as free software for converting the cassettes calls to mp3s, I use a program called EAC to record the output from my cassette player into wav files on the computer. EAC can be used to modify the wav files if needed, and then to compress them into mp3s, it relies on a "sister" program LAME to do the compression. I also use this program combo to convert my LP record collection to mp3s, and set-up a hokey webpage tutorial on how to use EAC/LAME for this. The steps shown on the webpage are similar to recording the calls from a cassette.

Good luck,
Bob
Link to page that has links to EAC, LAME and files that create default settings for EAC
LP to wav/mp3 webpage (similar for cassette to wav/mp3
Old 03-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks again Bob!

Think I might just try it!