Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coons???

Old 01-27-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Coons???

I guess i'm in the right forum for coons.I got a few questions if I am.I've been putting some corn out for my deer so I can get some trail cam pics.This is kinda my plan for the off season.Only problem I have is all the dang coons.At the start of the season I did'nt really have much of a problem with coons in my pics.Maybe a coon here and there.Now the whole film is loaded with coons and coons only!It's like they run the deer off or something.Kinda frustrating.You guys got any suggestions?I thought about getting some traps and trying to thin them out a little but wondered "what do you with one once you get it".I've never trapped and never hunted for coons so i'm at a loss at both.
Give me your suggestions folks.
Thanks,
JE
Old 01-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coons???

Could you switch from using corn as the bait to something that wouldn't be as attractive to coons? What about alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay? Just a suggestion.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the reply.I never heard of that.If I don't have any other good options I will definatley do that.
Thanks again,
JE
Old 01-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Coons will eat nearly anything. Trapping them isn't that hard. I either shot or drowned the ones I caught.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:17 PM

When you catch them, I'd either shoot them, or give them live to a coon hunter. When we raised coon dogs, we liked the live coons to train young dogs. Just an idea.
BBQ'd coon is really, really good when prepared right-you should consider fixin the meat too.
Good luck.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:35 PM

I trap them around my feeders each year.some I sell, some I eat,and some (that are to old and poor) I just shoot and discard.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:17 AM

Some folks around here live trap them with have-a-heart traps and relocate them into a coon hunters hunting area so that they have a dense population to train their dogs with. As crazy as this sounds the bait of preference for the live trap is banana moon pies and honey buns. Seems the sweet tooth on a coon will get the best of him every time. Hope this helps some.

TRAP
Old 02-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Ive got this same exact problem but in my pictures the deer will feed with the coons! it is still frustrating to get a bunch of pictures of just coons though