Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

moly-coated bullets

Old 01-22-2005, 04:35 PM

Default moly-coated bullets

i recently bought a box of moly coated vmax coated bullets. are all these stories of moly coated ruining barrels. i can't see why they would continue to make use the moly on the bullets were true. Any help clarifying this?
Old 01-22-2005, 06:02 PM

Default RE: moly-coated bullets

Moly is supposedly or actually hygroscopic(sp) which means it will absorb water.

I've shot it as long as I can recall now. I've never had a barrel ruined from it. Cleaning schemes are a bit different. I don't do it that often or thoroughly. But I do like to soak it when the barrel is warm. Then go brush and then a few wet and dry cycles. Then about every 500 rounds (every other cleaning) I run some JB paste or similar in it. I may then check for copper with something like Barnes but its usually ready to go.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because if you clean your gun you will have no problems and get great results.

I have used Moly coated 75 gr HP moly coated Hornady match bullets for several years .
The rifle (AR-15) has had 6-7 thousand of these bullets thru it with no problems.

Where you will have problems is when you fail to clean the barrel every 50 or so rnds.
I then fire 1 fouler.
I read of over 2 thousand rnds thru a barrel without cleaning ,the barrel may have been ruined by the moly build up.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:11 PM

Clean every 50 rounds?? I can't even finish a match in that number. Actually I suspect the culprit would be allowing the weapon to stay where it was really humid.

I rarely clean more often than 200-300 rounds. I"ll shoot all of CMP week at Perry without touching the gun. And its still easy to shoot perfect scores on the 600 yard line at that point.

Jeff
Old 01-23-2005, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not a match shooter . ( I tryed it and found I sucked at it)
Even though I live 15 miles for Camp Perry.
I use my AR-15 on long range chucks and steel gongs.
I try and keep my rifles clean ,I preferr to err on the side of to much rather than not enough.
I go to Perry every year for loading supplys and other supplys
Old 01-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sixgun_Redneck

i recently bought a box of moly coated vmax coated bullets. are all these stories of moly coated ruining barrels. i can't see why they would continue to make use the moly on the bullets were true. Any help clarifying this?
I've heard some rumors about that floating around on the internet. The gun shops I have talked to said they didn't see much substance to it. They say if it shoots good, use them. My gun shoots them good, so I use them.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting moly coated bullets done ruin your barrel, improper care and maintenence is what it is. Granted you have to adapt to a different cleaning regimen, using different chemicals and procedures. I've shot moly out of both of my 223's over several years and about 800-1000 rds through each. No signs of fouling.