Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Moly Coated Bullets >

Moly Coated Bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Moly Coated Bullets

Old 05-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Moly Coated Bullets

A buddy of mine bought some Moly Coated Bullets. He now is second guessing his purchase because of some of the negitive reviews he has read. Has anybody had any experience with a Moly? If so, what is your opinion? Any and all, positive & negitve input is welcome. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moly Coated Bullets

I've never loaded them due to the negative posts I've read about them. What I seem to remember is that the moly coating is hydrophillic in nature, and has a tendency to trap moisture between the coating left in the bore and the bore itself, promoting a condition that can cause bore rusting. Some also claim that the moly left in the bore is a real bugger to remove. I'm sure others will chime in here. I, myself, am staying away from them......
Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

I've been using moly coated bullets since the start of the craz and have never once looking back...they work just fine.. and they serve their purpose to say the least.. shooter longer, cuts down on barrel wear.. fills in the little cracks.. the problem I see it is that people don't shoot long enough, they clean too much. shoot more, clean less... let the moly fill in all the little tool marks and so on in the barrel...I've never had any rusting..your right, you'll never get it all out and who would want too, that's the idea, fill it in..I also use DANZAC, which I like even more.. cleaner to handle..DON'T be afraid of coated bullets, buy some, shoot em' and make your own mind up on this matter
Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried moly but gave up on it since it offered no extra accuracy,and it took several fouling shots before the accuracy stabilized.I still experienced copper fouling,and it hasn't been proven that moly reduces throat erosion which is the limiting factor in barrel life.