Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Anyone ever shot a yote with a bow?

Old 01-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anyone ever shot a yote with a bow?

Shot a yote with my bow and a couple buddies made a really big fuss saying that very few bow hunters ever have done it. I realize they're fast and tough to draw on but this one just came by and gave me the opportunity.

Any stories?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone ever shot a yote with a bow?

I was bow hunting last fall and had a yotte come thru out of range .
An hour or so later it came back ( the same 1 I think) and beded down 50 or so yds away . After quiting time it was still bright enough to see ,so I lowered my day pack and crunched it in the leaves under my stand .
It got up to look for what was making the noise , at 15 yds it saw the rope ,looked up ,but the arrow hit it just about the same time .
Only ran 10-15 yds.
This year a large male walked under my stand , I spined it . The taned hide now hangs over the back of my desk.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:01 PM

I've gotten 2. The very first year i started bow hunting whitetails i had one come in to about 20 yds and i hit him perfect. last year it was like the same thing same stand the yote came in behind me though and cycled around to my right side it was dificult shot that i would have never taken on a deer but a yote is different. i hit him a little high but it did the job.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've gotten 5 coyotes now with my bow that were called in. One of them was at about 13 yards, hit just off center in the head. Another one was at about 10 yards, arrow went in the front left shoulder and came out right hind hip, another one was a retreating coyote, and I got a Texas heart shot on it, took us about 4 hours to find that one, another one was at about 55 yards, broadside hit and quick kill, and the last one was at about 30 yards, slow moving broadside shot that also was a quick kill.
It's not easy, and there are a lot of called coyotes that you don't even get a shot at, but when you do succeed, it is sweet.
I've also shot two others with my bow, but at the time I was deer hunting and they just happened by, and I am an opportunist!!
There will be a, bow kill only, predator video on the market in the not so far off future
Old 01-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

I've flung three arrows total at coyotes. All were out of my recurve and the coyotes ducked, jumped or bolted at the release. I missed all three. I need a quieter/faster bow.
Old 01-29-2005, 06:53 AM

Took this yote @ 18 yds,,,5 minutes later the second one came down the trail,,it must have seen me,,it went into a log pile. It was in there for a few seconds,,,, then it came out of the log pile like a rocket. It must have picked me out coming up the trail,SAWDUST !!

Old 02-02-2005, 01:10 AM

My hat's off to all of you. In my book, you're all first rate predator hunters. I don't know if I could pull something like that off.