Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 any ideas as to how far will a yote go with an arrow shot?? >

any ideas as to how far will a yote go with an arrow shot??

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

any ideas as to how far will a yote go with an arrow shot??

Old 09-29-2004, 05:08 PM

Default any ideas as to how far will a yote go with an arrow shot??

I did manage to hit a yote while bow hunting some public property with a friend of mine (I’m trying to get him into the bow hunting, and now he talks about it more then I do) and it was close to the end of shooting hours (30 minutes left) and a yote came from the marsh. I hit him at 12 yards, facing dead away from me while I was in a tree. now with as many deer as I have shot, and the anatomy of them, I figured they are damn close to the same thing, so I drew and put the pin right where it should a been. After I shot I thought it was a good hit, and that I would find him at most 50 yards away. turns out I didn't find him that night, cuz of light. so my dad and I went out the next day, and never found him. we went about 150-200 yards (2 1/2 hours) and the blood trail seemed to have just stopped. not I was just wondering how far would a heart or single lung shot coyote go??

-Hoyt
Old 09-29-2004, 05:19 PM

Default RE: any ideas as to how far will a yote go with an arrow shot??

just like a deer they could drop on the spot or run a ways. never heard of one going that far with a good shot though.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot 6 with my bow last year ,4 droped inside 75 yds , 1 went 200 yds after I spooked it just after the shot the last a 1 lung ran over a 1/2 mile before exspiring. good luck
Old 09-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

One coyote that I arrow shot , as it was retreating from our calling set-up, was recovered about 1 mile from the spot that I shot it. My arrow went in the "out hole" on the coyote, so I figure at best I got one lung. When we did find the coyote about 4 hours later, it was still alive, and I had to shoot it again with my bow.
Coyotes have a will to live like no other critter!