Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

What To Do With Squirrels???

Old 01-08-2005, 12:54 PM

Default RE: What To Do With Squirrels???

Eat em......squirrels great.Whoever told you that it was bad,just wanted more for themself.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Great video Dave, that is how I do it, the best way I know how to skin them without getting much hair on the meat. Good post!!
Old 01-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

eat 'em cut them into pieces legss , back bake them for about 30 min coat them with hot sauce squirrel wings
Old 01-17-2005, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

That video is how I skin them too. If you hurry, you can skin, gut and cut heat/feet off in under a minute doing it like that.

Helps when you have a bunch!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:48 AM

Mix:

1tspn- white pepper
1tspn- cayenne pepper
1tblspn- black pepper
1 tblspn- season salt(I like Lawry's)
1/2 cup flour

Section out your squirrel, dip the pieces in buttermilk, shake off most of the buttermilk and dredge the pieces in the flour/spice mix. Brown the pieces in a heavy pan with some oil(peanut or olive is my preference). Set the browned pieces asside.

Make a roux(You don't know how to make roux? What kind of cook are you! ) Roux is the basic ingredient in every cajun kitchen around. To make your roux. Mix oil (peanut is best IMO) with flour, a little bit more flour than oil, say 1 cup oil and 1 cup+2 tablespoons of flour. Blend the flour in a little at a time and whip it until the mix is smooth. Pour the mix in a heavy pan(cast iron) and cook over low heat. The length of cooking time depends on what kind of roux you are making. For this reciepe you are making a "peanut butter" roux, so you will cook it for about 15-18 minutes. You must stir it constantly. CONSTANTLY. Don't stop for anything, don't run to the restroom, or answer the door, KEEP STIRRING! If you see little black flakes in your roux at any time it is burnt and ruined, toss it. After 15 minutes or so your roux should be a nice peanut butter color. It's ready!

Rough chop and drain a large onion, brown the pieces in some oil. Add the onion to your roux. Chop 2-3 nice tomatoes and add them to the mix(or dump in 2 cans of canned tomatoes). Add the squirrel pieces and 1-2 bay leaves. Add a teaspoon of your season salt to the mix, you can also put in more of the pepper if you like, just add the hot stuff to taste(watch the white pepper, it can quickly overpower the other spices). Cover the pot and simmer for 30-45 minutes, until the meat is falling off the bones. Remove the bay leaves.

Congratulations! You just made Squirrel in Sauce Picante! Serve over rice with a nice crusty french bread. This is also great with rabbit or even yardbird.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:22 AM

This is what I do:

I skin the animal
Take inside, rinse off extra blood and fur that may be left on body
Place in a bowl of warm water, add some salt and leave in for 10 minutes
Take out of bowl, place any spices you may like onto the animal, I prefer chili powder.
Wrap animal in Tin foil
Place on grill for 10 minutes
Flip animal around and grill for another 10 minutes
Eat animal for a for a very tasty treat.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:36 PM

Squirrel is very good if prepared properly. If you aren't going to eat it, don't shoot it.