Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Using a 410 For Squirrels

Old 08-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Using a 410 For Squirrels

Would like to know if any of you guys use a 410 for
squirrels using 3 inch shells and if you do how well
does it work for you on them especially when shoooting
up into a tree and also about how far can you succesfully
kill a squirrel with a 410.Its going to either be a 410 or a
20 gauge for my 7 year old son but a 20 might have to
much kick at this time.I want him to have fun when he pulls the trigger and not be scared as he learns to hunt with me.
Thanks a lot for any help you can give! Mike
Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Using a 410 For Squirrels

*(In my opinion) i would let him use the .410 itsplenty for squirrles. ill probly hear some crap for this but here goes.
ive been a 410 shooter for many years since i was 7 yrs old im 32 now and still use the same gun as i did then .
24 in barrel full choke with 3 in chamber . efective range 30 yrds . never had one walk from a hit at 30 yrds
here is a target practice for him. placea soda can at 30 yrds lying sidways and standing up if he canthem,then a squirrel will be dead at 30 yrds
i use a .410 for many game animals, doves, squirrel, grouse, deer(tripple ought buck000-slugs never got a deer yet but ready for them this year.never taken a shot cause they were out of range).
ground hogs,ducks,rabbits,pheasant,im sure there is more. as long as he is an accurate shot and the target is inTHE RANGE OF THE GUN .u will have a verysucessfull hunt.
u asked about squrriels so in my opinion the .410 is great squirrel/small game gun .when used for game in the guns range . let the bashing begin
Old 08-12-2008, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 410 is one of my favorites. I've never had any problem with it. The max range is pretty much dependant on how well your gun is patterning, but like Mudchicken said, 30 yards is about right for hunting.

As long as the gun throws a tight pattern, I can see no reason why the 410 wouldn't work just fine. I mean, squirrels and 410's go together like cheese and crackers.

I've always used the 3" #6 shot shells. Shooting squirrels in a tree shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a clear shot.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

You cant go wrong with a 410. great squirrell and rabbitgun!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:39 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

MY son is now 5 and has killed around a dozen or so squirrels with his 410. He killed his firt one when he was 4 and everytime we see a squirrel in the yard he is ready to get after it. I think you and your son will have alot of fun chasing those bushytails with a 410. Give him a couple years and then move him on to a 22. Good luck
Old 08-12-2008, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

.410 will work fine.I have been rabbit hunting the past few years with a 12 ga,but i am goning to buy me a .410 and start useing it.The 12 ga tends to tear them up a little to much for my likeing.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Its really going to depend on how well you're son can handle the recoil and what all he's planning on hunting in the next couple years. If he can handle the 410 and isn't scared of it I would say you could do one ofthree things.

1. Get the 410, pattern it, and turn em loose with it. Absolutely nothing wrong with the 410 for small game and upland game. I've killed alot of animals with it.

2. Look for a 28 ga. It doesn't kick that much harder than the 410 and it'll give ya alittle bigger pattern than 410 and is one heck of good gauge for small and upland game. Then if he's lookin to deer hunt you just look into a muzzle loader.

3. If you reload your own stuff then my suggestion is to do what my dad did with me. Get him the 20ga. and cut down the load to about half. It kicks about the same as the 410 and he shouldn't have the much of a problem dealing with. Then he'll have a gun that will last him quite a while as an all around gun.

Either way I'd look at a single shot to teach marksmanship.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:03 PM

It is one of the best to use!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Won't go wrong with the .410. I prefer it over the large shotguns for most ocassions. It will be more than enough for squirrels, my .410 almost seems to have better range than my 12 gauge berreta on very small targets, maybe it is just tightly choked, its a family hand-me down so I don't know the exact choke of the barrel, but it has sent squirrels and birds into the pot for 80 years, so haven't really needed to find out the choke.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

VAS- I use a 410 myself i go squuirrel and rabbit hunting with it wouldn't use any other gun except it , for squirrels i use 3' shells and 6 shot for rabbits i use 7 and and a half shot works great.

Quick Reply: Using a 410 For Squirrels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.