Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Public or Private Land? >

Public or Private Land?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Public or Private Land?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Public or Private Land?

This may have already been asked, but do most of you hunt private or public lands? If some of you hunt public lands, got any pointers? Right now I only have access to public land and this year it got really crowded. I am going to check out some new areas and hope I don't run into the same problem.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public or Private Land?

I hunt mostly private land and wrap up alot of time trying to get it. I do hunt public land from time to time and i get as far away from anyone as possible.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually private land
Old 02-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt both.Some of the private land around here can be far worse that public.Got to put up with more Poaching and Trespassing.

Had good luck on both.

big rockpile
Old 02-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Until I bought my new house, I was hunting public land. One hint, the further in you are willing to go the less hunters you will run into. There are a LOT of lazy hunters out there.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:32 PM

I have only hunted on private land.
And some years I completely agreee with big rockpile...
Though it is private, there is SOOOOO much of it that we sometimes gets tons of unwanted hunters etc...
But for the most part I love it. I know it well and have really gotten a chance to learn trails and paths and basically just how to hunt it well.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt only public land not by choice but it works for me.I have found hunting areas likemarsh and swamp land is always good due to the security they feel in the cattails.Always zig when all others are zagging and you can throw alot of what we learn about normal deer habits out the window because day to day pressure decides there movement and area they will bed or feed the next day.But when you harvest a deer on public pressured land the satisfaction is overwhelming no matter what size or sex of deer you get.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mostly private, but even that is starting to get a little crowded. I do have 1100 acres of public land only minutes away that I rarely visit but just might this season. There are always a couple of huge bucks around there each year.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:09 AM

Pretty even mix for me...........used to be almost exclusively public. The private land I hunt now is closer to home for one.....and less crowded for sure. The public land we hunted and killed tons of deer off of for about 15 years had utilities run through it and a bunch of camps built.......it is now an absolute mess during gun season and crowded sometimes even during bow. Really is a shame because we used to be the only truck tracks in the snow at that place. Now it looks like a parking lot. We have actually given up on going there for opening day of gun because it is likely all of us would not even be able to find a spot to sit down.

I like the farms I hunt but you never know what is gonna happen from year to year...........2 years ago we got tossed out of a spot 3 days INTO bow season because some idiot decided he wanted it all to himself and persuaded the landowner to let him RE-POST it all.......another area we really liked had been perfect for years until some clown asked for permission and got it as well..........only to bring about 6 other guys with him every time........private land doesn't ALWAYS mean less crowded.

There is not much difference around here between public and private land (deer wise)..........the biggest perk of private land is the peace and quiet. IMO.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have shooting rights all over my county and probably the most. We prefer private land, its just better.

Quick Reply: Public or Private Land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.