Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 VA Input Sought - Firearms Hunting >

VA Input Sought - Firearms Hunting

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VA Input Sought - Firearms Hunting

Old 10-24-2004, 03:20 PM

Default VA Input Sought - Firearms Hunting

WISE - A state agency is studying how localities across Virginia regulate the use of firearms for hunting purposes, in an effort to make local ordinances more uniform and consistent.
While Wise County does not have such an ordinance in place now, the state Department of Game and Inland Fisheries still wants the county's input and reaction to several proposed model ordinances.

County administrator Ed Sealover doesn't know how beneficial it would be to submit a response but still thinks it's important. "I always feel it's better to get your opinion on out there when you're being (asked for it)," he said Wednesday.

Wise County doesn't have any law on the books dealing with firearms hunting, Sealover confirmed. "None whatsoever."

The county doesn't have much time if it wants to participate in the state's study. The game department wants a response by Friday, Nov. 5. In light of that deadline, Sealover says, supervisors might have to reach some type of consensus at their workshop meeting on Nov. 4.

Game agency director William Woodfin Jr. wrote in a recent letter to Sealover, "I cannot emphasize enough the importance of your involvement in this study since we do not yet know if any of the study findings will result in changes to the Code of Virginia regarding local firearms hunting ordinances."

The department has developed several draft model ordinances, "keeping in mind the objective of easier understanding by the public of hunting laws," Woodfin wrote in the Oct. 7 letter. The state's suggestions include:

* making it illegal to hunt with a rifle larger than .22-caliber rimfire, except rifles of a larger caliber can be used for hunting groundhogs between March 1 and Aug. 31;

* making it illegal to hunt with a muzzleloading rifle, except that muzzleloading rifles can be used to hunt from a stand elevated at least 10 feet off the ground;

* making it illegal to hunt with a shotgun loaded with slugs;

* making it illegal to hunt with a firearm while within the right-of-way of any primary or secondary highway; and

* making it illegal to transport or possess a loaded shotgun or rifle in any vehicle on any public street, road or highway.

Supervisor Robby Robbins raised several concerns during the board of supervisors' Oct. 14 meeting.

There's a tradition of hunting in Wise County and Southwest Virginia, which are rural areas, Robbins noted. No coalfield county currently has an ordinance in place dealing with the use of firearms for hunting. These proposed model ordinances seem directed at and more appropriate for urban localities in eastern and northern Virginia, Robbins says.

"I'm opposed to all of these," he said of the state's suggestions.

Board of supervisors chairman John Peace II appointed Robbins and supervisor Ronnie Shortt, a veteran law enforcement officer, to a committee that will meet with county attorney Karen Mullins for discussion and review of the model ordinances.

Sealover says state officials are looking for reaction to the model ordinances. The state, he said Wednesday, wants to know: How do you feel about these things? How do you feel about these restrictions? Can you live with these suggestions? Or is it too much?

Sealover figures there will be widespread opposition if the state makes the proposals mandatory. The Virginia Association of Counties and Virginia Municipal League would balk at such an idea, he says, because they would want it left up to each locality whether to adopt any new provision regulating hunting with firearms.

The General Assembly earlier this year asked the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to study local ordinances related to the use of firearms in hunting, Sealover told supervisors Oct. 14. The agency is asking Wise County for feedback on eight model ordinances, he explained.

State law allows counties and cities to prohibit hunting and trapping in certain areas, according to the Senate joint resolution calling for the study. The state game agency provides a listing of local firearms ordinances, laws and regulations in an annual digest. The listing has grown to include 70 separate listings for 60 Virginia localities.

"While your locality does not currently have any ordinances that are included on that list, we certainly want to give you the opportunity to be a part of this study," Woodfin wrote to Sealover.

The joint resolution gives the game department until Nov. 30 to complete its preparatory work. The agency must submit its findings and recommendations to Gov. Mark Warner and the state legislature for consideration in the 2005 General Assembly.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=158550&rfi=6
Old 10-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: VA Input Sought - Firearms Hunting

There are reasons to be concerned. It appears that center-fire rifles are not allowed for hunting except for ground hog hunting. Can you use a CF rifle in VA now?

Here some of the local county regs in NC. http://www.wildlife.state.nc.us/pg02_Regs/pg2a4.pdf

I'm surprised they didn't mention spotlighting.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:59 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Currently it's county to county. There are many counties that allow the use of Center Fire rifles. The limitation on deer hunting in rifle counties is that it has to be .23 caliber or larger. I would be surprised if they pushed that agenda. Our deer herd is already as high as they want it to get and I expect the kill would decrease if they made us switch to shotgun only thruout the whole state.

David
Old 10-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

I live in Wise county. I have known Ronnie Shortt from the board of supervisors for several years. I know he is a hunter and will take care of his own. I will get in touch with him and see where all this is going. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea anything was going on!
Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like more bureaucratic BS, if you ask me. I can at least understand why there are such types of strict regulations in the urban regions, but in rural SW VA?!

We need to keep an eye on this. Over all, I think Virginia is a great state to hunt in, but it will only remain so if we all do our parts.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:09 AM

I hope that they dont pass that law. Thats basically saying you cant hunt at all in Wise County VA. Currently I live in Augusta County, we can use anything .223 and above. If that happend here you would have some pissed off hunters with their guns in the county court room.

Yet another right the liberals want to take away from us.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:30 AM

Guys reread the first one....

[quote]
* making it illegal to hunt with a rifle larger than .22-caliber rimfire, except rifles of a larger caliber can be used for hunting groundhogs between March 1 and Aug. 31;

that only says its illegal in the summer time. So this only really limits hunting larger nusiance species. Dont get me wrong im not infavor of it but dont panic either. just call your state delagate and let them know in no uncertain terms how you feel.

Like the man said we just gotta do our part!