Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Got a black squirrel today

Old 10-09-2004, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Got a black squirrel today

Went back out hunting this afternoon without my fiance, she was too tired from gettin up and going hunting this morning. Took a real nice fox squirrel about 30 minutes after gettin in thw woods. I saw a squirrel bouncing through the tree tops that looked black. I set close and waited for like an hour and a half and then i saw it coming up through the woods about 25 yards away. When it stopped i fired off the old Stevens 20 gauge and it ran about 10 feet and piled up. It was a pretty big squirrel, its head, legs, belly and sides were jet black. Its back was really dark grey with black mixed in and its tail was the same as a regular fox squirrel only with black hairs all through it. I wrapped it up tight in bags and put it in the freezer i want to get it mounted.

How long can it stay in the freezer frozen until i have to take it too the taxidermist? Ive never killed anything worth mounting before so im not sure how to go about preserving it. I just put it in there as is, i didnt gut it or anything just put it in a bunch of plastic bags and wrapped it tight and taped it shut.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Got a black squirrel today

i shot a squirrel in the middle of october/early november last year and didnt take it to the taxidermist till febuary...he didnt say a word about it except it was frozen....i didnt gut it or anything...sure he was ripe for the taxidermist!! but i guess thats better then my ripping it open cutting hair and everything....cant wait to get it back!!!! if sealed up good and everything it should last a good while....make sure it dont get frost bitten and make sure ice or anything like that doesnt touch it.....i had mine in a ton of bags in fear of ruining it...but he didnt say anything was bad about it and he was surprised it was that old......good luck
Old 10-09-2004, 06:27 PM

Default RE: Got a black squirrel today

as long as it didn't get to hot before you put it in the freezer your ok.it will keep in the freezer for a few mo's. with no problem.
an idea,have it mounted laying on a limb,and hang it high and you will never notice the lighter back.if you want to see the back,have it mounted coming down a limb.just a couple ideas.
congrats. on the trophy.I have one that is black untill you get close,then it is reeeeeeal dark brown and black mixed.