Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Black Squirrel

Old 09-24-2003, 02:47 PM

Default Black Squirrel

I shot my first black squirrel a few weeks ago with my 22 WMR in southern MN. It was only the second one I' ve seen in my life. How common are they in the areas you hunt? I am planning to mount it.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:33 PM

Default Black Squirrels everywhere

At one time here in Michigan, all we ever seen was fox squirrels, and a few grey' s. We have an abundance of black squirrels everywhere now. The black squirrel we have in Michigan is the melanistic phase of the eastern grey squirrel. I live in southeastern Mi. When I leave for work in the mornings I count how many limits of squirrels I could shoot if it were legal here in the city. And I usually count any where from 35 to 40 squirrels, 90% are black squirrels too.

Coyote Caller
Old 09-24-2003, 06:49 PM

Default RE: Black Squirrel

I live in southern OH and I have never seen a black squirrel.I have heard some people say they saw them but they are few and very far between.We have fox and grey here.I saw a flying squirrel last night outside my house.You can here them calling each other and if I turn on my outside light and wait you will eventually see one.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:27 PM

I kindaof feel ignorant about this, but I am from Oklahoma and have never heard of much lss seen a black squirrel. Here in the central part of the state all we have are fox squirrrels and a bunch of them.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:57 AM

All we have here in Northeast PA are gray squirrels and red squirrels. I have never seen a black squirrel or a fox squirrel here. I have seen many fox squirrels in Ohio and many black squirrels in Canada though. [8D]
Old 09-25-2003, 11:35 AM

here in ms. we have grays and fox squirrels in most of the state and the red squirrel and the black squirrels are found along the ms. river.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seen' em but never killed one, used to see one many times at my friends freeder with a big white stripe down its back!
Old 09-25-2003, 01:34 PM

The only one i have ever seen was in North central PA. I missed him on the first day but the monday after found him in my game pouch and in the stew pot. that was back in the early nintys
Old 09-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

some areas they are rather rare others they are a common species....there are spots around here they are a little more common then rare but still rare..i want to bag one one day......i want a great big one though...im not mounting a little one....
Old 09-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' ve been wondering the same thing. I saw my 1st black squirrel in VA a few years ago and now I see a decent amount of them. This is in Northern VA. There are mostly grey squirrels here, w/ a few blacks. A few months ago, i saw what appeared to be an albino squirrel in Arlington, of all places. I was about 25 yards away, and couldn' t be 100% sure it had pink eyes and all, but the whole body was completely white. Boy, I' d love to see that while I' m out in the woods one day

Quick Reply: Black Squirrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.