Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

When to salt and flesh?

Old 09-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default When to salt and flesh?

I was hoping that some of you folks could help me out or point me in the right direction. Recently I picked up a red fox that had been hit by a car that was in great shape and was a beautiful animal. I took it home and thought I might skin it out and maybe tan the hide.

What I did was I opened it up just above the groin and proceed to take my time and skin it out. Not sure what they call it but kind of like a tube. In all modesty I think I did a pretty good job. I really took my time and with the exception of just a few small nicks I took it from the tip of the tail, up around the face. The only think I left was just the bottom of the four feet bones.

Now that I’ve gone this far what’s next? When do I salt it? How do I flesh it out and what kind of knife do you recommend? It has some burs in its tail when can I comb them out? Can I wash the pelt to clean it with regular hair shampoo?
If I want it soft and flexible can I send away for a tanning kit or do I have to send somewhere? Sorry for so many questions, any suggestions would be appreciated.

It’s sitting in the freezer and I better do something with it quick, I put it in the freezer and my wife will have a cow if she finds it.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-15-2004, 11:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-15-2004, 07:22 PM

Default RE: When to salt and flesh?

There are several good tanning kits available through the Fur-Fish-and Game magazine. Fox are easy to tan compared to many other furs. If you have not already done something else to the skin I would suggest that you roll it up skin side out put it in a plastic bag and freeze it till your tanning kit is in your hands. There is no real short cut to making it a quality fur you will have go step by step, fleshing , tanningoiling and breaking if you want a good looking soft fur. The breaking cannot be overdone. It is seemingly drudgery but must be done completely for best results. This includes working the tail and head right up to the nose pad. Good luck.