Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Skinning feet [?]

Old 01-05-2002, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Skinning feet [?]

I've never had a reason to want to keep the feet pads and claws on a pelt before, but I got a badger this morning, and of course the claws are the best part. I'm about to go skin him, but I need to know how to keep the feet????

GOTTA LOVE THAT MARLIN MAGIC!!!!
Old 01-05-2002, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Skinning feet [?]

cut the pelt on the inside of the leg down to the pads,then work your knife(a fillet knife works good for this)under the pads and around the foot as far as you can.then pull,gently.the pads and claws will stay with the pelt.
Old 01-05-2002, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Skinning feet [?]

You'll need to skin it down all the way to the end of the toe bone, that connects with the claw. Separating the toes and pulling on them individually, starting on the outside, works pretty well for getting them stretched so you can trim them down.
Be carefull not to pull too hard as you could rip the skin around the foot. You can find the tip of the bone that you can cut around, or you can clip it with some cutters.

Good luck!