Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Bait Question

Old 02-10-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Coyote Bait Question

this summer i plan on coyote hunting and i plan on dumping pig guts from my friends pig farm and dumping them out in a field or place by the woods and building a little platform to sit up a couple feet above the ground...do you think this will work??? will the pig guts attract coyotes or maybe even foxes??????
Old 02-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote Bait Question

i would say so. when we were up in maine, and my father shot his bear on day 1, he dcided that he was going to shoot a coyote (with a 30-06 and 180 grain bullet none the less) and they dumped his bear guts in a field. he never actually saw one, but the bait was hit on day 3 and we could hear the coyotes howling from our camp. they were definitely coming in.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

It will work, just how quickly they find it and when they feed will be the keys to your success. But if you continue to put fresh guts out, that will keep them around and eventually you will be able to set up on it early mornings or late evenings and get your shot. It may take them a few days to discover the bait pile, but if you keep putting more out there, they will begin to frequent the pile more often.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:51 PM

im going to put some out a couple days in advance...what i was thinking about doing is making a platform with a little shelter on top and sitting up there with a friend all night with a nightvision scope...would that work??? and what if there is more that 1 coyote and i shoot it will the others run away??? if they do will they come right back???
Old 02-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

That will work, just make sure the wind isn't blowing your scent to the bait pile. If they have found the pile and don't get it all ate up before you set up on it, or if you keep adding to it, they will keep coming back for more. It's only a matter of how long it will take them to discover it. Sometimes if you shoot one coyote, others won't run too far before stopping to look back, and if you wound one and it starts yipping and carrying on, they may actually come back to it.
Good Luck!!