Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Beagles trailing rabbits

Old 02-17-2004, 05:52 PM

Default RE: Beagles trailing rabbits

another thing you may want to start is the whistle training. this works great and they can hear it for hundreds of yards. if you are interested i can explain it somewhat. let me know see yaaaaaa
Old 02-19-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: green01

another thing you may want to start is the whistle training. this works great and they can hear it for hundreds of yards. if you are interested i can explain it somewhat. let me know see yaaaaaa
I've got them stopping on the whistle right now. Then if I call, they come. Could you explain more though. I'm a novice to this, but it's working out much better than expected. I think that's due to me getting very good beagles and they just have it in their blood.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:12 PM

we have ours trained so when we blow the whistle 2 times they will stop and look at us to see which direction we have turned then they turn with us. this works very good if they are not on a bunny. this takes alot of cut up hotdogs for a reward when they turn. we start this when they are young before they get too brave. this is when they are little and they want to follow you everywhere. becareful in the summer you can over heat the dogs make them come in for water or run them to near by stream they will jump right in. in the summer when we are training we use a 5 or 6 whistle sound when the bunny has turned back and ran past us. this gets the dogs excited and when they return you can put them a very fresh scent. after a while they learn that this gets them closer to the rabbit and they will come back most everytime. this also works great when you are ready to quit or load up. they think you have seen a rabbit and they come running. this only works with lots of practice. our dogs get more time running in 6 months than most dogs get in a life time. i hope this helps and gives you some ideas. i am finding out this is harder to explain than i thought it would be. alot of this stuff is easy to show you but hard to explain. we will try to help when we can. good luck
Old 02-23-2004, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get the gist of it. Thanks for the help, I'll start doing that from now on.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:21 PM

Got these running Beagles.....