Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Beagles/rabbits

Old 12-18-2003, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Beagles/rabbits

A buddy of mine has 4 beagles and we're training them to run rabbits. I've done a lot of research on the subject and told him that he should have started earlier w/ more training, but that's beside the point. They are just over a year old, but when they hit a deer trail, they bark and take off after the deer. What's the best way to get them off deer and onto rabbits? We've got shock collars and have started shocking them when they hit the deer trail and rewarding them when they bark on a rabbit trail. Is this good? Any suggestions are more than welcome.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Beagles/rabbits

Worked for me, also let them run with trained dogs if you can.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:27 PM

My grandfather and i rabbit hunt a lot. what he does is he lets his begal run around on the hills all day and then the dogs can get a better sence of what animals go were. Also sometime let them startal a deer and it will scare them out of ever wanting 2 go after 1 again. if none of these work you are doin the next best thing.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:13 AM

the shock collor is the best thing you can do now.you are right , he should have started when they were about 3 to 4 mo. old.

most dogs would rather run a deer than a rabbit. the deer has a stronger sent.
if you don't get them off the deer running now , you will lose the game.

a friend of mine in Lousinna only runs rabbits and I get the ones that he can't break from running deer.some dogs just can't be broken.
He has been doing this for 35 to 40 years.( I like it when he can't stop one from running deer ; I get it) what ever you do ; do not shoot a deer in front of them.that will make a deer dog for life.

good luck in you training.