Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Yote hunting set up?

Old 01-08-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Yote hunting set up?

I was thinking about hunting some yotes this winter and wondering about my gun set up. I was planning on sitting at a picknic table with my mini-14 with a 3x9, 10/22 open sights, and my 12ga. with 3" 00buck. I am posative of my shots out to around 250-300 yards and closer with my mini, and my .22 for real close shots so i dont do to much damage to the pelt, and my shotgun for a little bit of extra kill power if i get board enough from waiting. I know it dont hurt to have extra guns with me while i am hunting but i was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on my decision to use the three guns or not.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:09 AM

Default RE: Yote hunting set up?

I think you should leave the 10-22 at home and just stick with the Mini and shotgun.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yote hunting set up?

It makes no sense in carrying all three guns. I'd say pick the best one for the situation. If you can expect to have shots further than 60yrds., take the mini-14, and if you expect the shots to be with-in the 60 yards., take the shotgun. Leave the 10/22 at home! And what's with the picnic table, I've yet to see them come running when someone slaps a cold sandwich or potato chips out to eat You need to set-up where you can blend in with your surroundings at least a little bit. I've heard of people using the term "ringing the dinner bell" but that usually means blowing on a predator call of some sort, but I've never heard of anyone sitting at the picnic bench to do it