Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

how long to wait for coyotes?

Old 12-31-2003, 01:37 PM

Default how long to wait for coyotes?

i got a small hand held ecaller for christmas, it isnt the best but it is something to start off with. how long do i wait between times when i push the button to make the sound? and how long should i wait and mover to another location? i dont want to start walking to another spot and spook a yote coming in. thanks.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:36 PM

Default RE: how long to wait for coyotes?

I am reading a few books about coyote hunting, and i believe one said about 20 minutes in one area. coyotes are usually faster, but some times you will get a bobcat to come in, and it will usually take it's time.

Just what i read. No experience (yet!)
Old 01-01-2004, 10:48 AM

Default From my experience

I have the best results when I sneak into a area, then wait for 10 to 15 min. before I start calling. Your actually letting the area get use to you being there. Something will always spot you when entering an area. So be patient, don't slam your car or truck door when getting out. And keep your conversation down to a minimum with your hunting partner, if you have one. Have your hunting stratagy down before hitting your hunting area. Which you should have scouted before hand. It makes no sense to roam around looking for a spot to hunt. Scout your areas first.

I wouldn't hunt an area more than 30min. If nothing comes in, leave the area quietly, and find another one. I usually go around 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from area to area. Good luck and be safe.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:48 AM

Walking into the wind, get set up, wait a couple of minutes. Call for a 2-3 minutes. Wait 5 minutes. repeat, then move.

That's the pattern I use when hunting dogs. When hunting cats I repeat two or three times.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:49 PM

I usually try to sit 30 min. It takes me about 10 to 15 min to walk in. Thispast Sat I called in 2 in back to back sets and the both came in after 25 min of calling. I hunt some big country though.
http://www.drycreekhunting.com