Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Got my howler today

Old 12-29-2003, 08:56 PM

Default Got my howler today

I drove to Coeur d' Alene today to the Black Sheep Sporting Goods, and got my new howler, Calling all Coyotes 1 and 2 and two new squealers. The howler is a Primos brand. Naturally it was in a plastic package and I couldn't really try it until I got home, 45 miles away. My son and his girl friend went with me. I couldn't use the howler in the cab of the pickup cuz it was too loud. I made the kids listen to a few minutes of the audio tape that came with it as we drove.
That was a long 45 miles home. When we got inside the house my son put in a tape and started watching immediately, I unwrapped calls and went outside to try them. I came back inside and helped them watch the movie. It was informative alright.
That primos howler is really nice with great sound and volume. It sounds as good as or even better than the Thompson call that Randy Anderson uses and sells. It was half the price too. I'll keep it.
I think I've got about 6 hrs. worth of video to watch now. I'm on the first tape of #2. It's far more professional than the first movie. I think he bought a new camera.
He sure can call!
Thanks guys. Just wanted to let you know I'm practicing now.

critch
Old 12-30-2003, 12:48 PM

Default RE: Got my howler today

critch i need some help on hunting coyotes... I am going to go get a howler at b-sheep or i might go into sportsmans warehouse.

How do you locate coyotes? Drive to different spots and try howling? I know we have coyotes around Coeur d'Alene area, but i have no idea on how to locate them.

Help please!
Old 12-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah yes, the howler and the sounds it can make. Nothing like doing a set, and you start with a lone howl, and they howl back telling you where they are. Using a howler is catching on, but it doesn't always make calling them any easier. I think you'll hear Randy talk about the use of the howler and later in the season is when it works the best. And it's the truth, come late Feb., that's about all you will need, as long as you don't over use it in your calling areas before then.
And Idaho Hunter, it's true you can use a howler to locate coyotes, BUT, if you stop your vehicle, howl, and a coyote or two howls back, or doesn't for that matter, then you get in your vehicle and drive off, don't ya think that you'd be giving away your tricks to them. It's better for you to go into an area that you suspect has coyotes, wether you have seen coyotes there or seen sign that they are around, and set up to call them, just like you normally would, then use your howler. They will come to just the howl, if you say the right "coyote language". So, use it like any other call, set up in your spot, plan on staying there for at least fifteen minutes, you can do a lone howl or greeting howl, and then if nothing shows, go to your distress sounds of what ever flavor you like. This way, any coyote in the area hears your howl, thinks there is a strange coyote there, and may come to check you out, but then if it hears a screaming rabbit/rodent, then it thinks the stranger just caught lunch and it wants in on the action. Just driving around and howling may tell you where some coytoes are, BUT, just becuase they can hear a howl, even if it sounds right, does NOT mean that they will howl back. Even when you are set up to call and use it, they may just show up with out answering back, BUT on occasion they will, and that is the most exciting calling, is when you howled, it/they answered, then you continue calling and get them to come in. Nothing beats that in the calling world.
Hope that helps a little. Good Luck!!
By the way, there are many different coyote vocalizations, and learning every one isn't necassary, but if you can learn the lone howl, the ki-yi, the female greeting howl, and challenge howl barks, they are most often used.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:08 PM

Id hunter, don't forget that you need permission to hunt any cultivated land in Idaho. Many won't give it, but some will. Just ask nicely.
Howler, I haven't hunted coyotes for several years. Thanks for bringing your tips to us occasionally. You not only bring back good memories of old hunts, you refresh my memory for what I need to do to get ready.
Id hunter, the Primos call comes with an audio tape and is very informative. It will teach you five basic calls, all of which you'll use some time or another.
Good luck guys.

critch
Old 12-31-2003, 12:29 AM

Thanks! I am going to call fish and game tomorrow, and probabley stop by black sheep, to pick a few of the items up. Hopefully they can point me in the correct direction to hunt.

Thanks for the help,
Idaho hunter