Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

using a coyote howler

Old 02-17-2002, 08:12 PM

Default using a coyote howler

can anyone give me any pointers or techs. on using a yote howler? I bought a quaker boy howler the otherday and stopped along the backroads to try it. I let out two howels about 30 sec. apart and had a yote pop out of the woods 1/2 mile away but no vocal responses. any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2002, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: using a coyote howler

it has been my experience that lone howling to coyotes will most times NOT get a responce and group howling WILL get a responce almost every time.i use these two types of howling for two different reasons.group howling i use for locating packs in different areas,i use a tape for this.now this may also get them to come in becouse they think a pack has enterd there territory.but most times they will responed vocaly to let the intruding pack know that there tresspassing.they tend to not want a physical confrontaion with another pack becouse this can get deadly.they would rather try to intimadate the tresspassers vocaly.lone howling will make them come in but most times silently.when you howl by yourself you must be on your toes becouse if there is a pack with in hearing distance they will most likely be coming in to kick the intruder out or kill the intruder.this holds exspecialy true when you do a deeper toned male call.but be ready for they will come in spread out and quite possibly all around you.if its mating season and you do higher pitched female call you may get the alfa male to come in becouse he's lookin for some more lovin if ya know what i mean.this may also attract a young wondering male(a loner)becouse he's always lookin for some companionship.when using a howler to call in coyotes its important that you also know how to do the challange bark howl.this call is accualy easyer to do then the lone howl.any of the how to tapes or video's will show you how to make this call.if you spark the interest of a pack or even a loner male he may challange you vocaly.you must be able to snap right back with your own volcal challange.if your succsessfull in challanging him he will be coming to kick your butt so be ready and don't move a mussel.when that coyote poped out you needed to make a distress call.this creates the illusion that a stray coyote has enterd his domane and killed some of his food.after the distress call,follow up with another howl.its at this time when you have seen a coyote take notice to your calling with howles that you may get a callange bark howl.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Man, that seems complicated!
-ost
Old 02-20-2002, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

there is alot of different howls that coyotes use, and it is difficult for anyone to know all of the "coyote language", but what I do alot, this time of year, is set up. just as you would normally to call coyotes, do two or three long howls, if a coyote responds to you, imatate what he/she said, then wait about 3 to 5 minutes, it may show up without any other calling, if it doesn't go ahead and do some dying rabbit blues for 5 or 6 minutes, and if it still doesn't show up, you can either try to howl again or do a, what ya might call a "coyote gitting his a$$ whipped" call, and wait another 3 to 5 minutes. When howling, the action will generally be slower, in other words, the coyotes usually won't come in hard like they do to distress calls, so patience becomes a virtue when howling.Like coyote seeker said, most of the time they will not howl back at you when you do a lonesome howl, they will simply show up to see who the intruder is, and if they do respond with the short howl bark challenge, you need to challenge back right after they do it, this will sometimes bring them in also and it may take a few exchanges between you and the coyote.
This last weekend I howled in a coyote, from when I started calling to when my partner for the day shot and missed, it took nearly 45 minutes, and honestly the only reason I sat there that long is 'cause I saw him coming a half mile out there and it took him that long to cover the distance, and he/she never once made any sound.That's where I get spoiled, I can often see them way out there, and it helps to learn how to call them, 'cause I get to see how they react to the sounds that I make.Sorry this got long.GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-20-2002, 05:35 PM

Coyoteseeker did a exellant job on how to use a howler. It may seem a little complicated at first glance but, like anything else, the more you practice the better you get. Right now is one of the best times of the year to be using your howler. In fact from now through late spring I realy almost entirely on my howler.
Old 02-24-2002, 06:03 PM
Spike

i have had some real fun with howlers..had a male yote come into 8ft while using one at a dead run and stopped when i freaked out cuz i thought it was going to kick my a$$..But i have a question how do you know that your sounds are good from a howler...i think the howlers sound like a moose call more than a yote call sometimes anyway to make sure it sounds real?
Old 02-24-2002, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

i will agree that some of the reed howlers sound like crap but its not the sound thats important its the rythem.most of the howlers out today sound close enough to fool them as long as the rythem and pitch are correct.the way i learned was to record myself practicing and then replay it.you can learn alot doing this becouse you can hear the mistakes alot better replaying it on a tape then while your blowing on it.i have a diaphram that i can make sing the song dog songs and it sounds so good to my ears and any other human that hears it but the coyotes could care less.it dosn't call in coyotes for crap.i'll take out a reed howler and they sometimes run me over.its alot like turkey calling contest,you have to be perfect to call to a judge but when calling to animals it dosn't have to be nearly as good.just work on the rythem and pitch.be able to control the pitch,up and down when you want it to not when the call wants it to.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:56 PM

Hey guys. I got a question. What would be a good howler for a beginner to get. I have never tried to use a howler but i would like to. What are some brands/models that would be easy to use? thanks.
ryan
Old 02-24-2002, 09:36 PM

I agree with everything coyoteseeker said but I would also add that you should learn what to say to a coyote and when to say it.I believe somebody,and it may have been you coyoteseeker,explained the most used coyote sounds and did, I thought,a great job. Look for it on a past post.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]