Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Dens ?

Old 12-23-2003, 09:20 PM

Default Coyote Dens ?

I'm just getting started in yote hunting and was wondering if anyone can tell me how or if you can find a coyote den.I just thought it would help to find out where they live and try to wait on them to come out.Is it hard to hunt over a den?
Old 12-23-2003, 10:46 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote Dens ?

check the south facing side of a hill for dens. They generally do not use them this time of year... mostly feb,march, april
Old 12-23-2003, 10:48 PM

I've never hunted the den, for some good(?) reasons. Waiting out a wild animal is nearly impossible. Coyotes come out when they want to and not before. Besides, you could be set up on an empty den. They may be out hunting already.
If you call one out of the den and shoot it, the rest will hole up for ever, or until you go away, whichever comes first. Plus, the sound of your shot has just educated the rest of the pack.
I'd set up several hundred yards away from the den when you find one.
My two cents.

critch
Old 12-23-2003, 11:41 PM

Thanks guys.Critch that sounds like good advice and makes perfectly good sense not to set up by a den.Thanks
Old 12-24-2003, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated above, coyotes generally don't live in dens during winter months. They use the dens mostly just for whelping. So, you'd be wasting your time sitting and watching a den this time of year. To find out where they are, go into your area to hunt and look for tracks or scat, or early mornings and late evenings, listen for them to howl. They will have a core area, coyotes are territorial, so if you find a lot of tracks and scat, then you're in a good area to hunt them. But just walking and trying to jump shoot them won't be as effective as learning to call them in, and calling them in will be much more exciting. Depending on thier food source, cover to live in, and thier density, they can be hard to pen down. Coyote season often is open when all other seasons are closed, so it's just another opportunity to be out in the woods hunting. Good Luck!