Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
.22 Mag For Coyotes At Very Close Range >

.22 Mag For Coyotes At Very Close Range

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 Mag For Coyotes At Very Close Range

Old 10-09-2016, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a 22 Magnum to drop cattle up 2000lbs with a head shot, so a 'yote wont be much problem as many here have said. How are you planning on getting this critter to within said 50ft? Are you planning on trapping them and using it to dispatch them or calling them in?
Old 10-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Banned

or perhaps baiting?
Old 10-09-2016, 11:00 AM
Spike

The right 22 mag ammo will drop them dead..as long as your shot placement is good...but to get within 50 feet of a yote your either hiding in a dead cow carcass with a shoot hole..or he is blind and his nose fell off...

I have a Ruger V77 22mag rifle which is deadly out to 100yrds if you do your part..

best ammo I have shot was the CCI game point..or the V Max...or the Winchester Supreme or super x

I have taken yotes out to 90 yards ..some DRT or dead in 20 yards...a bi pod or shooting sticks help alot to get the steady eddie shot...on the Predator forum there are guys shooting boar with head shots at 50 yards with a kill...
Old 12-12-2016, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

What's the best way to bait a coyote in ? Live chicken or rabbit , dog food , I hunt deer and hogs but want to dispatch a coyote and a bobcat that are hunting the same spot, thanks for any help or advise , farms in azle if someone wants to help
Old 12-12-2016, 06:34 AM
Spike

Default 22 mag for coyote

Shot one Thanksgiving day, 1 shot, 100 yds DRT.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

It will do the job, but is very minimal and I'd rather go up the ladder to a little bit bigger rifle or shotgun so one doesn't run off no matter where he's hit.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Road kill deer dumped in the same spot over and over. Make sure to get the correct permits before picking up a road kill deer.

Al
Old 12-13-2016, 04:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
I would not depend on it.
Except at

"At point blank range (50 feet or less),"

At that range a good shot gun with # 4 buck would be better even.

Al
that'll kill it for sure but if saving the pelt ,I would prefer the .22 mag
Old 12-13-2016, 04:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Al53
The right 22 mag ammo will drop them dead..as long as your shot placement is good...but to get within 50 feet of a yote your either hiding in a dead cow carcass with a shoot hole..or he is blind and his nose fell off...

I have a Ruger V77 22mag rifle which is deadly out to 100yrds if you do your part..

best ammo I have shot was the CCI game point..or the V Max...or the Winchester Supreme or super x

I have taken yotes out to 90 yards ..some DRT or dead in 20 yards...a bi pod or shooting sticks help alot to get the steady eddie shot...on the Predator forum there are guys shooting boar with head shots at 50 yards with a kill...
lol. or you are calling them with a predator call.
I have called them on many, many occasions within 5 feet of me, while wearing bluejeans and no scent control.
when coyotes hear a dinner bell ring and they are hungry, caution goes to the wind.

they get a one track mind, much the same as a buck in the rut on the trail of a doe. especially the young , uneducated ones
Old 12-13-2016, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried 22 mag 40 grain jacketed hollow point on Jack Rabbits. I eat Jack, it really tore them up. If you are dispatching varmints it is a good round. If you plan on keeping the hide, not so good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.