Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coyote question

Old 01-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Spike

My father used his .17hmr to drop a coyote. He said it did the job very well and did little pelt damage, but unfortunately it had mange. I don't think the .17hmr should be used for long range shots on coyote though. It's also a heck of a squirrel gun, but be sure to make head shots.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not an experienced shooter like many responding. I did trap 2 my first set, and have read all the coyote threads back to page 235! Your question comes up often.

Your answer probably depends on how close your 'yotes will come in. Some rely on 3-400yd shots out in the open West. Others in the brushy East rarely get to shoot past a hundred yards. Talk to locals, those that hang around the range or gun shops to see how close the 'yotes in your area can be called in.

Other issues, hunting regs, get to know 'em. Some can't shoot big calibers during deer season. Populated areas may allow only rimfire. Sometimes, it's legal, but ethically, do you want to be slinging bullets onto others homesteads? Even if you handle your shots responsibly, just the fact you're a shooter, and then someones' window or windshield gets cracked from a wayward bullet, can strain neighborly relations.

I just bought the B-mag 17wsm. Some say it feels like a toy. I don't think so. It's only very lightweight. The stock is solid, at least in cold weather, can be reinforced to hold up in the heat, and the bolt has smooth tight tolerances. It throws a modest 25gr pill at a modest 375ft/lbs, but it's downrange energy retention is 37% greater than the 22mag past 100 yards! Due to I'm still living across the country from my cabin, it'll be late March 'fore I get to post how it shoots.

At the risk of getting yelled at; very roughly;
22mag to 75yds,
17HMR to head 100yd, to body 50yd,
17wsm to 125yd,
22 Hornet to 150yd,
17 remi to 275yd,
204 to 300yd,
223 to 300+yd
22-250 as far as you can aim it.

Last edited by Sosalty; 02-21-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: er not or coyote not coyoted revise stock concern