Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First coyote!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Spike

Talking First coyote!

After a few months of trying to figure out calling, setup, and strategy, I finally bagged my first coyote! I tried a new spot this morning and managed to call in 2 shortly after setting up, but after shooting the first one the second made it back over the hill and out of site before I got off a second shot.

I've always hunted deer and birds, but never predators. Man, have I been missing out! That was a lot of fun and after several failed attempts, it feels great to finally get one.

I used the Primos Alpha Dogg e-call, a cottontail call (still need a lot of practice with this), and a MOJO Critter decoy. The first coyote headed straight for the decoy and I took him down at around 70 yards.

I can't wait to get back out there!

Pic of my first coyote and my Savage 10 Predator Hunter 223:
Old 03-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats! Ive gone out a few times and have yet to bag one, it's more tricky than I thought it was going to be.

Btw, what Bi-Pod is that? I like how long it is.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on a nice looking Coyote and a sweet looking Rifle!

I know it can be be pretty exhilarating when Hunting and Shooting Coyotes,if possible next time You shot one or call 2 in after shooting the first one try calling again or use the Coyote/Pup yelp and the second Coyote may stop for 1 last look and You'll get a chance at another one and get a double!

What grain bullet are You using in Your .223?I'm using 55 grain V-max Hornady's in my Savage Axis XP Camo Rifle and they do a great job of putting down the Predators!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by OhioNovice
Congrats! Ive gone out a few times and have yet to bag one, it's more tricky than I thought it was going to be.

Btw, what Bi-Pod is that? I like how long it is.
Thanks! It's a Harris 13"-27" series S bipod. The "S" means the base swivels side to side, which allows you to keep the rifle straight on uneven ground (as was the case when I shot this coyote). I highly recommend that feature. They're relatively expensive, but well built and sturdy.

http://www.harrisbipods.com/
Old 03-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
Congratulations on a nice looking Coyote and a sweet looking Rifle!

I know it can be be pretty exhilarating when Hunting and Shooting Coyotes,if possible next time You shot one or call 2 in after shooting the first one try calling again or use the Coyote/Pup yelp and the second Coyote may stop for 1 last look and You'll get a chance at another one and get a double!

What grain bullet are You using in Your .223?I'm using 55 grain V-max Hornady's in my Savage Axis XP Camo Rifle and they do a great job of putting down the Predators!
Thanks for the advice!

I shoot the Hornady 55 gr V-max, too. My Savage is a tack driver with that round.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your first !!!

You just got bit by the bug.......................

I agree with everything you had to say about Harris and their bi-pods.

Only brand and "model" I use: although I have different hight legs on different calibers.

Last edited by Sheridan; 04-01-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on your first coyote.. It is great to see them going down! I hope you get to nail many more!
Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Spike

Congrats on the yote! nice one
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Spike

Thanks, guys. I recently took my new Savage 12FV 204 Ruger to the range and I'm anxious to take it on my next hunt. It's a tack driver!