Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Any Falconers Here?

Old 02-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
love watching the big birds hunt. check out the vid of hunting for wolves in mongolia, with golden eagles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re644qgnCtw
awesome pics eminart
RR
Unbelievable video RR

Thanks for sharing !
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
love watching the big birds hunt. check out the vid of hunting for wolves in mongolia, with golden eagles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re644qgnCtw
awesome pics eminart
RR
Great Video...
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by eminart
Depends on what you're hunting. Most people don't use dogs if they're hunting rabbits and squirrels. But, some do use beagles or other dogs to flush rabbits and some use dogs to help find squirrels.

People hunting upland birds use dogs in the same way you'd use them with a shotgun. You don't want to stomp all over wyoming to find a grouse. Use dogs to point them and then your falcon that's waiting in the sky chases them on the flush, or a goshawk or cooper's hawk catches them flying from your glove.

Money isn't really the problem with falconry. You CAN put a lot into it. But, I probably got started for around $1,000. The time and effort are where most people can't do it. It's not a hobby. You can't just have a "pet" hawk and go hunting with him once or twice a week. Obviously they need care every day, but they also need to be flown a lot. The more the better. I probably average hunting 5-6 days a week. They need a lot of flying to stay in shape to be fast and strong enough to catch game.
If you leave the cage open...will they run away?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chopayne
If you leave the cage open...will they run away?

Yes. They aren't pets. If I was small enough, my hawk would eat me. The only reason he comes back to me is he's hungry when we hunt, and he knows I am an easy source of food.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Fork Horn

Hmm, saw this episode on Mountain Man, this guys brother charges $10,000 to train a falcon. Guess that goes in line with dog training.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Chopayne
Hmm, saw this episode on Mountain Man, this guys brother charges $10,000 to train a falcon. Guess that goes in line with dog training.

Meh, nobody pays that kind of money in the US. Almost everyone trains their own anyway. Those reality shows aren't very realistic most of the time.

Over in the middle east, where falcons are status symbols, they'll pay over 100,000 for a bird. But, in the US, falconry is mostly practiced by regular joe's who love hunting.