Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Homemade E-Callers parts, guides, etc >

Homemade E-Callers parts, guides, etc

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Homemade E-Callers parts, guides, etc

Old 10-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Homemade E-Callers parts, guides, etc

Hello, i've been wanting to make a homemade electronic caller for a while. I was going to make one using the Energizer Outfitter lantern, but they basically do not exist anymore.

I am looking for good links to guides for building your own. Also, any other information on parts to use such as which MP3 players are good, what bags you used to hold everything in, or perhaps another flashlight like the Energizer above that was modified to carry the whole kit inside.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Spike

Check this site out, he has good instructions and downloads: http://varmintal.com/
Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don’t waste your time………………………..buy a spitfire from FoxPro !

http://www.gofoxpro.com/products/digital_calls/product_spitfire.php

BTW - Is that you in your Avatar !?!?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Spike

Honestly, you can spend less money and get the same sound quality and exact same sounds without buying a fox pro. Go to walmart, or costco or anywhere that sells ipod accessories, and buy a speaker dock, you can get a REAL good bose, studio quality system for about 100 dollars with a remote that reaches real far, some up to almost 100 yards, and is portable some take aa batteries . This is all assuming you have an ipod, i personally have a 160gig ipod, so i can fit way way way more sounds on my "e-caller" than any other one you can buy, plus you can listen to music from it as well. This also offers the advantage of setting up a playlist of calls and patterns, you can have a 5 min distress sequence followed by 10 mins of silence and have the track loop, or throw in a howl. And if need be you can pause the sequence as well, also raise/lower the volume.

it's essentially the same exact thing, coyotes wont know the difference, but your wallet will.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dude,

What does your home project cost !?!?

Because;

http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/pro...4955.uts.shtml

No brainer !!!

I ordered mine directly from Foxpro and customized the 24 calls to my needs.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Fork Horn

$23.00 for mine.
Just got it today. Went to "odd lot closeouts" store in nyc at lunch time. the one on Duane street if anyone is interested.
Picked up a no name 2gb mp3 player, identical to old ipod nano for 14.99 and a round battery powered speaker for 6.99.Downloaded a bunch of mp3 files from the internet and got my setup. Doesn't go really loud as speakers are only powered by 4 AAA but it should be fine for distress sounds of smaller rodents rabbits etc.
Going to see how it works and try out the whole coyote calling thing etc. If I enjoy it then I will consider a more expensive dedicated caller but this thing works great(to my ear in my home) and much better then the 5 call electronic handheld my friend has and we have gotten the coyotes to respond to that. Biggest problem will be picking out what files to put on it and their order. If it turns out I need a remote I'm going to buy a 100ft roll of speaker wire for 5 bucks and see how that works.
If it turns out to be totally useless I will give the ipod clone to my kidsand I'll only be out 25.00. If it works and I end up enjoying predator hunting I will definitely consider one of the big dollar units. Also took one one of the kids old toys, its a little furry puppy that sort of hops up and down and goes yip yip and then flips over when you push a button on the controller.Doesn't flip over anymore and just sort moves around and falls over but it sshould be fine. The controller is connected to the puppy by a 4-5 ft wire that looks like a leash. Will use some extra wire to extend the length of the "leash". got a caller and decoy for next to nothing and actually having fun setting this stuff up. I'll post any results and will probably get out in two weeks or so. Gotta take the kids trick or treating this weekend. take care all.

forgot to add that I decommisioned the speaker in the puppy.

Last edited by nyorange; 10-27-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by StabyhounDogs
Check this site out, he has good instructions and downloads: http://varmintal.com/
thats what I did check mine out

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/smal...ml#post3741024
Old 12-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I built 2 callers when I was in college out of flashlight bodies. One was a cassette based model and the other a CD model. The cassette player was built into the side of the flashlight using epoxy, for the CD player, I put longer screws through the body of the flashlight into the bottom of the Diskman. Both used compact rechargeable batteries, so I could fit the player, amplifier, battery, remote unit (remote relays, power to the speaker could be cut off), and speaker all into the flashlight housing.

I built one about a year ago based on an MP3 player dock, but added an amplifier and higher volume speaker. I tore apart an MP3 player dock that had a blown speaker that I bought at a garage sale for $1 and rebuilt it into a project box from RadioShack (about $5), and the amp and speaker were another $40. Of course, my MP3 player was a couple hundred dollars, but I'd also have one regardless of coyote calling.

That said, I also agree that it's VERY cheap to get a battery powered MP3 player dock, and use your MP3 player as a head unit.