Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel Hunting Tips & Tricks.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kay_vang01
Everyone has the same problem where they'll see lots of squirrel while bow hunting. The answer to that is, hunt squirrel similar to bow hunting for deer. Squirrel will come out after everything is quiet, just like when you are sitting in your stand for hours.

I found that hunting squirrels take a lot of patience. The more patience you have, the more squirrels you will see and shoot. But to not waste a lot of time in the woods, I use what I call the "3-20". Walk to a spot where you think squirrel may be present. Sit and wait for 20 minutes with little movements as possible. If after 20 minutes you don't see anything, move to a different spot at least 40-50 yards away. Do the same thing for 3 times. If you don't see anything in 3 moves, it's time to move to a different tract of wood or forest. If there are some squirrels there, this method will definitely allow you to see them. This is providing that the conditions are favorable for them to come out. If wind speed is 15 mph or more, raining hard, or other noisy activities nearby then no matter what method you use, chance are you will not see them.
Where I am at in NC, the average time to wait for a squirrel to start moving after you see one, or just after you sit down, is between 7 and 9 minutes.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by jrbsr
Where I am at in NC, the average time to wait for a squirrel to start moving after you see one, or just after you sit down, is between 7 and 9 minutes.
Most of the time, that's how much you really need to spot one. But in areas where they are heavily pressure, it takes longer for them to start moving again once you make some noise in their area and they spot you first.

Another trick that I forgot to add is get a squirrel whistle or squeaker and after 15 minutes of no action, call. If there are any hiding in the trees around you, they will bark or come running towards you. I have squirrel running up to me as close as 5 yards, I have to scare it away far enough for me to shot.

I'll try to get a video on my next hunt when I do the call and when the squirrel come running in.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Patience is the name of the squirrel hunting game. Get in the woods and sit still for a while.

Sitting still is the biggest part of it for me, and really, one of the most enjoyable. Wait'em out. Eventually, they'll come out.

If you spook'em, they'll come back out sooner or later.

It's a great way to spend a day.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Grawlix
Patience is the name of the squirrel hunting game. Get in the woods and sit still for a while.

Sitting still is the biggest part of it for me, and really, one of the most enjoyable. Wait'em out. Eventually, they'll come out.

If you spook'em, they'll come back out sooner or later.

It's a great way to spend a day.
It is also a good way to forget about of the the worldly worries.
And just chill out.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Early AM I Sit An Lesson For Barking Or Nut Crunchin.
Then I Spot N Stalk ... I Also Have A Call I Use Too.
If Nothin Else I'll Sit N Watch
Old 04-02-2014, 06:36 AM
Spike

Bring a little bb gun along with your gun and shoot the nests in the tree with the bb gun to get them to come out
Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by gharris2993
Bring a little bb gun along with your gun and shoot the nests in the tree with the bb gun to get them to come out
But check your local laws, illegal in some states to molest a den.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Murdy
But check your local laws, illegal in some states to molest a den.
It is not only Illegal, it is also Unethical.

Just my Honest Opinion.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:55 AM
Spike

I got a home made squirrel call that seem to work pretty good. Here is a video squirrel coming in. I called and this squirrel came running of about 50 yard away. It came so close that I was afraid it was going to climb onto me. It was inches from my feet. After it realize there was nothing there, it ran off and I called again and it came running back within a few feet of me.

I didn't expect any squirrel, so I was not real with the camera. All you see was it running away and then coming back. I didn't get the camera in time when it was inches from my feet.

Here is the vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXD9...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr
It is not only Illegal, it is also Unethical.

Just my Honest Opinion.
yeah cant molest dens here in va if im remembering the regulations right. One thing I will take with me sometimes is a slingshot, and when I have a squirrel on the opposite side of a tree, ill shoot an acorn or marble so it lands somewhere past the tree and it can drive the squirrel back around where I have a shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.