Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel Hunting Tips & Tricks.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Default Squirrel Hunting Tips & Tricks.

OK what is your tips or tricks, to get ole bushy tail?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

One tip is to have some nickle size rocks in your pocket.
And when you get to a squirrel that goes around behind the tree.
You stand still, and toss a rock on the side the squirrel is on.
It will think you moved over there, and will move around to your side.
Be ready to shoot.

O.K. lets hear some more tips, and tricks.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

If you spook some and they go to hiding just sit down and wait and they will go back to feeding in about 30 minutes.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

If you happen to see a squirrel cutting and by the time you get to the tree just sit down next to it and wait the squirrel well start eating again just don't move .The second thing you can do is and i know this will sound crazy but I've brought my bleat call with me a few times and when i can't find one just blew it a few times it will make the squirrel start barking so you can pin point where he is ,it doesn't work everytime but sometimes .If you have your stand in the middle of nut trees ,I've also stand in it and waited got a few like that to .
Old 07-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Do your preseason scouting. When you find a good area get in before first light just like deer season. have a comfortable spot picked out and sit down. Make sure you have camo gloves on and camo covering face. Even wearing an orange vest and hat the camo covering face and hands work. The human face stands out like glow in the dark paint to any animal.
Wait until multiple squirells are in range pick one out and kill it. The rest will start to chatter but will be still visable. Pick out another and kill it. Then you'll have silence and squirells wil be hid. Careful glassing will reveal one more of the bushytails but you won't see much more than the eye and ear so take your time and look carefully. When you find it take you 3rd and go pick up all three.
Walk 150 -200 yards out of the area sit and wait again. Might take 45 minutes - an hour but if yo did your scouting squirells in that are will come out ,repeat process.
I've found this works in any area with good squirell populations with the exception on very windy or a steady rain.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

see a squirrel before it sees you
find a tree near the squirrel
put that between u and the squirrel
walk up slowly
pop around the side and bang
Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Squirrel hunting really isn't all that hard. If you have a place with plenty of squirrels all you really have to do is sit still and wait. I have a an area on my property that has probably never been squirrel hunted by anybody accept me and it's crawling with squirrels, so all i have to do is set down for a while then their everywhere.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM
o_O
Spike

From my limited experence I can offer this.

The sound of them eating can be reproduced by rubbing 2 quarters together.

I never look directly at them unless it's through a scope or binos. They don't seem to get spooked then.

Find the right trees they're feeding on, walk looking for piles of nut shells, sit and wait, or proceed very slowly. They come out and start chattering at you.

I like the rock idea, obvious now I know it! Thanks.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Alright... I'm fairly good at it so here's a few tips
1. Do your scouting and have a plan (and stick to that plan)
2. Choose the right weapon - It may not be practical to use your scoped 17 hmr on squirrels running at 20 yards as its will not be as practical to use your 12 gauge when you are estimating an average shot of 45 yards or greater. (Ps, tried it with a long bow last weekend and its awesome fun)
3. Be patient - Contrary to what I've read in some books a lot of how squirrels seem to track you is when you move. If you miss then don't move because he may come out to investigate. Also when moving into an area after day light (reds in my area really start cutting between 9 and 10 am) move slow and be looking up for em. If you slow down and really scan you're going to pick them up sooner.
4. Practice your shooting before going out there. A lot of hunters don't give squirrels credit and they can be smart hard to hit little F**K*RS. Be sure to practice.
5. No more than 4 people. In fact fewer the better.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 AM
Spike

Talking

1. Get a leafy suit.
2. Get a 17 HMR.
3. Sit still.
4. If you can see em, you can kill em.
5. If they can't see you, they won't run.
6. Be sneeky.
7. Have Fun.

I squirrel hunt a lot of public land. Last year, I was sitting at the base of a tree and had a man and his son walk right in front of me and never new I was in the woods. Didn't say anything and slipped out without them seeing me. What I'm trying to get at is, if the squirrels don't know your there, they won't be alarmed. I have sat in the same spot and shot a limit. Never got up to go get any of the squirrels until I was ready to leave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.