Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

22 ammo

Old 10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Banned

What you really need is a .22 Winchester Magnum.

You said something about duds

Are you talking about a mis fire condition where the hammer hits the primer and makes a dent but the shell does not go off.

Some .22 shells has a harder primer then others and requires a gun that strikes the primer with more force. I would probably look into taking the gun back for repairs.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Spike

Whatever is cheapest.

But I do like the Winchester Super X best though. They tend to run a little more though I think.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Spike

I have squirrel hunted all my life. mostly used super x or CCI hollow points. This year tried CCI Small Game bullet. Lead bullet, flat nose. Absolutely the least eficient killing 22 round i have ever used. Curious to hear if other have had the same experience with this round.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Spike

CCI Mini Mags out of my 10-22. Ever since I bought my Savage 17 hmr, the 10-22 has been collecting a lot of dust. That 17 is a blast to shoot.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot CCI mini mags in solids because they are the most accurate threw my rifle in a non target load. Federal Gold Medal is the most accurate but gaining 1/8 of an inch is not a biggie considering no shots are taken beyond 50 yards.
Personally I've never had any problem with bulk packs of Federal but have experience pleny of problems with most Remington and Winchester 22lr with the exception of the Super X. Poor accuracy ,feeding problems , squib loads to the point I have to unload and check to see if there's a barrel obstruction.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by leman
I use Remington subsonics on squirrels. In my experience higher velocities in .22 = lower accuracy.
I second Bradley300 on the CCI 40 gr. Velocitor!!! Absolutley devastating on groundhogs, out to 70 yards out of my Marlin 39A. Head shots of course. Ground hogs will take a .22 in the chest and run almost everytime. But again, these bullets have not been easy for me to find either.