Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Got a pair of 'Yotes hangin a deer stand!!! >

Got a pair of 'Yotes hangin a deer stand!!!

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Got a pair of 'Yotes hangin a deer stand!!!

Old 10-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got a pair of 'Yotes hangin a deer stand!!!

Well sorta. I was slowly heading down the field road to where I was going to stop and cut across the cut bean field and hang a new stand when I saw something in the road along the next bean field, about 250 yds. I then stopped and started to unlimber my .220 Swift when I saw something come out of the grass ditch about 50 yards short of the first critter, realizing they were a pair of yotes hunting the ditch edge.
The farthest 'yote proceeded to get a 50 grn Nosler Bal. Tip suppository and then other started to cut out across the bean field it just came out of to only get an internal ear cleaning at about 4200 fps!!!!!! Really bad 'yote day. Hopefully the stand pays off as well later when I decide to hunt it when the wind is right and the rut is on.

Last edited by SecondChance; 10-10-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:52 AM
Super Moderator

Wheres the pictures at?
You did take pictures didn't you?
Congratulations on getting two fawn, and turkey eaters.
The deer, and turkeys Thank You, so do I.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really didn't think about pics for I was in a bit of a hurry to get to the timber and hang that stand. But I hear ya on the pic part. I will have to think aobut it next time. I am not much of a picture taker anyhow. Never really was and I for sure don't care for my pic taken unless its necessary.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

2nd chance,

Good job, kill as many as you can !

Glad you brought your .220 Swift with you..................too nice to leave home anyway !!!
Old 10-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the Swift. This is my 3rd and I really have a hard time this time of year riding around without it. I REALLY like my Cooper Arms in 218 Zipper also, but WAY too pretty to ride around in the case in the truck. Besides, case too big anyhow, aluminum travel case because of how high the scope sits with target turrets.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

2nd,

For a guy with Copper's - look into these cases.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=533969

I have a double Americase for my shotguns, but now I use Pelican for my scoped rifles !

BTW - I missed one yesterday, at about 400 yards with my .243 - Madder than hell !!!
Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Fork Horn

Good job 2nd kill all of the critters you can what kinda rifle is that swift?
Old 10-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
2nd,

For a guy with Copper's - look into these cases.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=533969

I have a double Americase for my shotguns, but now I use Pelican for my scoped rifles !

BTW - I missed one yesterday, at about 400 yards with my .243 - Madder than hell !!!
As my dad used to always say in that matter, hold alittle higher next time!!!!!!! God bless him!!! I hav eseveral cases for my weapons and have tried several as well. I just really like the Ameri-Vault that it travels in when I am carrying my Benchrest rifle in it. It sits flat in the ground and opens like a doctors bag. The scope always travels up and that way it always get set down stock first and not on its side which can damage a scope. Just a pain carrying it around all the time in the ext. cab part of my S-10.
Old 10-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Backwoods7
Good job 2nd kill all of the critters you can what kinda rifle is that swift?
The Swift is known as a .220 Swift. It began back in the early 50's and obtained a bad rap for burning barrels out as a wildcat. It was procedded by the 22-250 Remington which in its beginning stage was called a 250-3000 Savage, a wildcat as well, just not as notorious for burning out barrels. Both use .224 diameter bullets, same as the .223. It shoots amazingly flat and fast.
I just like the Swift for its something that you don't run into very often. I kinda like the odd ball guns and this one sort of falls into that class like my Cooper Arms 218 Zipper.

Last edited by SecondChance; 10-17-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

*****Update****** I went and hunted that stand I hung when I killed those other 2 yotes this past Friday morning. Killed a nice 5pt, 3 1/2yr-4 yr old, management buck at about 0655hrs. Went and field dressed it and left to get my truck, drive around the county block and enter the picked bean field it fell next to. Just as I entered the field edge via a fence/tree row, 3 yotes broke from the brush to the west and the last one stopped at about 300 yds, watching me.
As before, I pulled out the Swift and sent him a 50grn memo on the bad aspects of stopping when the rest are running. He just flipped over that concept!!!!!!!! About the time I put it back in the case and back in the truck, another broke from the brush at 100 yds. Out came the rifle again, lead him like a shotgun, at about 150yds, and clean zipped past the front of his chest to make it to the brush before I could get back on him again.
I got photos of both and exit hole, size of a softball, not bad for 300yds, on my cell phone. Can't post them for I don't have Internet access on my phone. This place is LOUSY for yotes this year and just goes to show what happens when no one hunts or traps them. Saw one the day before, (Thurs.) when I was hunting from another stand about 1/2 mile away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.