Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Savage heavy bbl .22-250

Old 06-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Savage heavy bbl .22-250

Wheat harvest has been good to me this year, so along side a few other rifles and side-arms, I' m thinking of adding another .22-250, nothing really fancy and it won' t be customized like my others, a heavy bbl though, and hopefully an accurate one at that. I' m really considering a savage, heavy fluted bbl if I can find one, stainless like most of them come, with the new accutrigger of course, I might bed the bbl, and if it isn' t really free-floated, of course that' s a must, but that' ll be all I want to dump on it besides the initial cost, just want a beat around, accurate, ' cheap' , bolt gun that I can shoot quarters with at 100yrds and coyote hunt with in the rain and snow, I' m getting a LOOOONG range rifle soon enough too, and have several that will reach out farther than should be expected, but I figure adding one just as a fun shooter wouldn' t hurt, anyone think there' s a better suited gun than the savage?
Old 06-27-2003, 08:38 AM

Default RE: Savage heavy bbl .22-250

Sounds like you pretty much covered it.
Don' t do anything to the rifle until you shoot it. It will probably need no work to be a real shooter. Never seen a Savage in a small caliber that wasn' t very accurate.

If it were me I would not buy a bull barrel, no sense in carrying all that weight around. You will probably get about the same accuracy from a sporter weight Savage. But thats just me.