Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.17 or .22?

Old 05-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .17 or .22?

You' re right about that, if I was left in a trap for a few days I would do the same, that' s why most states require the trappers to run thier trap line every 24 hrs. Do you not realize that there are lots of people who trap for furs, do you really think that very many coyotes chew thier legs off before the trapper checks his traps and uses a .22lr of .22 short to dispatch them. At 13, I don' t think you know as much as you think you do.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:37 PM

I bet I know more than you Mr. Big Shot[:@]
and learn to spell THEIR
Old 05-14-2003, 05:01 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

hotgunner, how many coyotes and foxes have you trapped? have you ever been on the trapline with someone taking them? how many feet have you found in empty traps? if you are seeing this on a regular basis, other than peta propaganda, we need to talk because you are doing something terribly wrong. if you are saying these things because you heard them please do your homework before repeating them. you are more than welcome to come on my line starting next October if you like.
Old 05-14-2003, 06:17 PM

i dont trap, i hunt with a rifle in a stand
Old 05-14-2003, 09:33 PM

hotgunner21

First of all if you use the right size traps a fox or coyote is not going to chew off it' s foot. And if you check your traps every 24hrs. it won' t have time to chew off it' s foot. An animal isn' t going to chew at it' s foot if it has feelings in it. Your listening to too many anti-trappers that will tell you all kinds of BS. The traps I use for fox I can spring them off in my hand without any harm to my fingers, and my fingers are a lot smaller than a fox' s foot. I' m sorry, here I go ranting and raving. But this is a subject that is close to my heart. Too many people never ran a trap line and don' t understand anything about trapping. but they will tell you how cruel it is. Don' t listen to PETA! Or any other anti-trapping snobs. Trapping is a very ethical way to stop the over population of a lot of animals, that would otherwise die of a lot of different disieses. which includes mange, distemper, rabies, and more. Sorry about the ranting and raving. But I just had to put my 2 cents into this.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:56 PM

why is everyone talking about peta? i dont know too much about trapping i' ll admit but sometimes coyotes and espesially foxes will chw their foot off within 24hrs feeling or not[X(]
Old 05-14-2003, 11:12 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Everyone is mentioning PETA because they are the ones who say this and it is a flat out lie. I' m not putting you down and I' m not trying to make you angry, nor is anyone else here, just trying to educate you. You stated yourself that you do not trap, that is fine, many of us here do. We are speaking from experience we have had on the trapline. We are wondering where your information is coming from. Who told you this? I have taken a number of coyotes and a few fox and I have never had one chew its foot off. I had a coon chew its foot off several years ago and it was my fault, thankfully, I have learned a lot since those days. Two years ago coon were not worth anything and I turned several of them loose, unharmed. Traps can be as mean or as humane as you want them to be. I have learned these things over the past fifteen years on the trapline where it counts. If you have no experience in this area you should listen to those who do. That is a big part of what these boards are for. I would be willing to bet the person you got this info from has never trapped, if they have then they were unexperieced and doing it wrong.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, I think it is time to take the South bound train that started off going North, but got derailed, to a gentle stop. I need to apologize for my part. Don' t think I need to apoloigize to Nomercy, as there is no doubt that he knows guns and ammo and thier abilities, and as far as the .223 goes for deer, pretty much everyone agrees, if you can reload you can make it a short range deer gun. As far as TWPAHTR goes, I' m just on the opposite side of the fence on the .17HMR issue. I have done a lot of reading on it also, and have two friends that have them, and I have falling on the left side of the fence in thinking of it as a predator rifle. And Mr. Hotgunne21, I think you and I have both learned something here, you have probably learned more about trapping than you care to, and I have learned how to spell, THIER! so, lets drop it and move on. Also, Hotgunner21, we need more of you young people to join the hunting heritage. I think we can all agree on that.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:30 PM

you got it howler, sorry[:' (], I was gettin to the point were I was ready for a war in the forums!
Peace