Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.17 or .22?

Old 05-13-2003, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .17 or .22?

I' m going to disagree, the .223 is sufficient for deer, it' ll do the job, just not very well. If you try to use it, be sure that you use a hand rolled heavy weight bullet (that shoots very well in your rifle) in a partition or A-frame, that way you know your retention will be good, poor retention is much of the pitfall when it comes to taking deer with a 22cal, they just blow up, if they stuck together, they' d do ok.

Check out the deer hunting forum, there' s a topic on there now (and if it' s yours, I' m an idiot for sending you to your own thread, but if it isn' t, it' s got some good info). Good luck with it!!!!

BTW, what action type are you planning on? Which make/model?
Old 05-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, so why would you use the .223 if, " it will do the job, but not very well." Why, tell me, why would anyone set themselves up to do a job, but not do it well. [>:]Why take a swiss army knife to a knife fight?[] The 22lr will do the job on a coyote in the perfect condition, the coyote is already in a trap and your 10' away, kind of conditions. Why, then, Nomercy, would you give someone that is just getting started hunting, with out a whole lot of experience, advice to concider the use of the .223 on deer sized game. I guess, you can tell, I disagree with you some times too ALthough, you did throw in there that a guy would be best off to " roll" his own loads using heavier constructed bullets. I do agree with that.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:25 PM

yo howler, First im not inexperienced (just with .223s) and second what kind of an inhumane FRENCHMAN (sorry, worst word I can think of) would shoot a coyote like that[]
I would take my swiss army knife to a knife fight! as a backup for my machete! so calm down and remember that big bores are for people with big egos
peace man[8D]
.P.S. MY swiss army knife is a VERY formidible weapon, especially the can opener!
Old 05-13-2003, 07:32 PM

as for nomercy, I was planning on a bolt action, maybe ruger all weather or a target model, i dont know which model cuz i havent thoght about it[8D]
Old 05-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you' re going to get one in a bolt, I' d get the target model, just remember not to shoot the rag nasty surplus stuff in it, it just doesn' t do the rifle justice to shoot such crap out of it. The ruger target model is great, I had one in .22-250 for a while, regretting that I sold it now, it was a great rifle, it was satin stainless (or target grey, depending on what they called it then) with a laminated stock, for a woody, it sure shot great.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, Hotgunner. How would you kill a coyote that was in a trap. Oh, I know, you would calmly walk up to it, talk softly to calm it down a bit, and use your army swiss knife to put it down. So, for all those trappers, (AKA Inhumane FRENCHMEN), TAKE NOTE. You no longer need to use your 22lr to dispatch your trapped critters. Mr. Hotgunner has volunteered to come and do it for you, and he promises not to do any more fur damage than you would have by using your 22lr
Old 05-14-2003, 09:04 AM

This is one of the few topics I respond to. I' ve researched the the .17hmr alot since its origin, read as many post I could find about it out there. By the way, the Marlin wed page has a nice amout of info on the round.

Every one out there keeps compairing apples to oranges with this caliber. It is a rimfire, nothing more. But when it comes to performance WOW!!! If you want a deer gun by a deer gun, coyote gun, long range varmiter. Any thing you could possibly want to shoot with a .22 this gun could do out to 4x the range. Yea, I reload and I' m not full of money. I have the ability to shoot a 222 mag, 2506, 22-250, 220 swift if I want to shoot any of the typical varmit rounds. But for a no fuss rifle the .17 hits hard and shoots incredable. And can out perform the other rounds in one area... no richochet (sp) or minimal to no pass thru. I shot a wood chuck this past week end at 62 yards, I witnessed something I' ve never seen before on a chuck, a cloud of dust and a dead chuck that did not move with no exit hole. Chucks are tuff, I' ve shot alot, I was impressed. Knowing its limits this gun tops the class of rimfire rifles. It appears that any one who has had the chance to shoot one agrees. If I' m sneaking around a stone wall or corn feild this is the gun I' ll have in may hands, from expereince not " I' ve heard this" .

Just shoot one and make up your own mind.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, TWPAHTR, I' ll give ya some more reading on the .17 HMR. Go over to the predator masters web site, do a search on the .17HMR, and you' ll have enough reading to keep ya busy for a while. Also, while your at it, might just count how many give it a thumbs up compared to the thumbs down, as far as whether or not it is a good coyote caliber.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:58 PM

hey howler[X(], and I think most hunters would know that foxes and coyotes, when caught in a trap, would chew their leg/paw off to survive
Old 05-14-2003, 02:08 PM
Matriarch Doe!

[]YIKES!!! The shaving cream' s gonna hit the fan now!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.