Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Next Generation of Predator Callers, and the industry itself >

Next Generation of Predator Callers, and the industry itself

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Next Generation of Predator Callers, and the industry itself

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Next Generation of Predator Callers, and the industry itself

I put my thoughts up on my website, on the front page tell me if you guys agree...., more what do you think of the industry and where its going...?

Mike
Pure Predator Calls
www.purepredator.com
Old 06-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Next Generation of Predator Callers, and the industry itself

Pretty much spot on Mike, BUT I would argue with your duckvs. coyote call anology. Duck callers are speaking the language of the duck, and a duck knows what another duck should sound like, where as with coyotes, accept with howlers obviosuly, we are making a variety of sounds, some sounds that a coyote may not have ever heard in his life will bring him, and the reason they respond can vary. They all don't come because they are hungry. No two animal distress crys sound a like, even in the same species, and some calls made of wood, or plastic, or horn, or acrylic, etc., may reproduce the sound better than the other. Calling coyotes is much like fishin', if ya go without a tackle box full of lures, you're more than likely going to come home empty handed eventually. What worked last week, very well may not work next week. A wood Circe call worked last week, a plastic tweety worked two weeks ago, and an acrylicPure Predator call may work next week.
SO to sumup my point, acrylic is just another material. Give me a wood call, a horn call, a plastic call, and an acrylic call that are all shaped and voiced alike, and I'd bet that I could call a coyote with every one of them. Would the acrylic call more coyotes, I don't think so. It's how the call is driven more than how it sounds.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Very well spoken, Howler... That works for me, you yourself have been in the industry for years, and have seen the evolution, from the "needed" goverment trapper... to turning the coyote.. Which the goverment has had at the top of the list for years as enemy #1, to being the fastest growing aspect of the outdoor industry... We now have predator guide services, and such... Whats next will we be leasing land soon?

Mike
www.purepredator.com

Old 06-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as leasing land for predators only, I don't doubt that it will happen, to a point in some places. It in a way, already is done in TX., but most leases are for deer and hogs first, predators second, BUT it keeps other hunters from getting at the predators. I don't know that calling coyotes will ever reach the level of hunting as has whitetail deer has. I think the main reason for the seeming explosion in predator hunting is the fact that the coyote numbers east of the Mississippi have gotten to good huntable numbers, which in turn has given more guys the oportunity to hunt them. Although it's true that there are more guys in the west calling these days, compared to 20 years ago by a long shot, but it's a pretty new deal in the east, and hence a lot more hunters have entered the sport, mostly in the east.
I hate to think just how many more guys would hunt them IF they were worth the $50-$75/ea. that they brought back in the 70's and early 80's. IF that were to happen these days, then yes, leasing would take like wild fire!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

Your right Howler, I think the number of dogs in the east has come up a lot. Still not what it is in the west, but here in the east, if you get a lease for whitetail or turkey, they will give you access for coyotes and the like. It's all related.

In the west the coyote is a part of the landscape, in the east they are a non-native pest that guys like us love to try and control. People in the east,, most people don't have a spot in their hearts for ol whilie, which is fine with me.

As for as calls go,,,it's funny how a expensive E-caller can be out performed buy a 10 dollar hand call buy a novice like me.