Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

...Speaking of rabbit hunting

Old 01-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ...Speaking of rabbit hunting

Sorry if I insulted, your dog is a girl. I'm just so programmed to saying he, probly cause mine are boys.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion you really messed up. THe first time that you shoot the dog needs to be chasing and the rabbit needs to be way in front of the dog. If you shoot too close to a young dog- you will ruin it. One bad decision could be the end of its hunting days. You cant break a gun shy dog. I have seen people tie a dog to a tree and shoot rounds and rounds of shot off- and it never cured the problem. Be careful. THe first rabbit killed with my dogs is by me only and i am the only one hunting with it. I had a freind really screw up a pup i had.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys... Yeah, my dog is a female and she's a little big for being a beagle, but not so big that she can't get in and out of the briars. Being part german shepherd, she's got the large bone structure, but yet the mannerisms, coloring, and slick coat of a beagle.

She was just coming out of the briars when I went to take the shot at the rabbit. Believe me, the shot was nowhere near her or directly in front of her. But since she never heard a gun go off before, she just got a little startled that's all.

I have heard stories of guys bringing a 100% pure family pet out to try hunting, and the dog is like 5 or 6 years old and babied all the time. As soon as the gun goes off, the dog totally freaks out, and goes running off in the opposite direction! [&:]