Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

A decent nights work

Old 12-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: A decent nights work

def a good night! We got ten one night, that was lots of carrying! Love coon hunting!
-Jake
Old 12-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

When i freeze my fur, i generally roll each pelt up and then put them in a garbage bag. That will keep them fine until the end of the season. The fur buyer said that they should keep until next year if i wrap them in newspaper and then put them in plastic bags.

I think that the biggest coon I ever killed was probably around 25 pounds. But i think there are some guys on here from out west who seem to pretty consistently bag coons up around 30lbs.
You might want to check the laws on holding fur till the next year. I remember when I ran hounds and hunted I'm pretty sure that IL. furbearer law states that you must sell your hides by a certain date.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pretty sure that you are only supposed to hold green hides for 30 days after the season closes in Illinois.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

their prices arent down over here in MO!!!?!!! Theyve gone down a cuple cents every 3 or 4 years but its still good money!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

What are you getting over there. It is only about 9-10 top dollar here and i heard it is about the same in southern illinois and indiana.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Typical Buck

My dad said he used to trap and he would catch coons and he would sell there fur for 20 dollars each thats good....What happpend?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

The fur market varies.Up until the late 1980s there was a big demand and the prices were often really good. But then the animal rights activists had a big impact on the domestic fur market and things went down the tubes. In recent years the prices recovered somewhat because of the demand for fur in Russia and elsewhere. But the global recession is effecting that.