Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Recipes for Squirrels?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Recipes for Squirrels?

My 11 yr old son has this interest in shooting squirrels, and apparently I can't quell it. LOL [8D]

Anyhow, since he has been getting some....I am looking for a recipe that will make them edible. I am not a squirrel hunter and have never cooked one in my life, but have eaten them before and honestly, they sucked.

I told him if he's gonna kill them, we're gonna eat them. Its not just blast 'em because its fun.

Please help me out here guys....I have no idea what to do with them and don't trust some recipe out of a book that has never been tried.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
Old 12-01-2008, 11:11 AM

Default RE: Recipes for Squirrels?

Soak em in really really salty water for 24 hrs before you do anything to get most of the game taste out. What I do is just make a stew. Debone them and kinda pull the meat apart so it is in really little chunks. Then boil it with potatoes, carrots, onions, corn, cellery, and any other veggies you want. I would also add some beef boulion cubes to the water first. Let the veggies boil for a while then add the squirrel and let it boil for a good while. It was pretty good when I made it. The sister didn't even know it was squirrel until she had already eaten it. The best compliment you can give squirrel is that it doesn't taste like squirrel. Keep that in mind. Have fun cleaning 'em. They can be really agravating.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Cut them into pieces, dip them in a flour batter and fry them for a few minutes in hot grease. Then put them in a slow cooker with some of the grease and water and let them cook until the meat starts to fall off the bone.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont boil mine.

Scroll down to bottom of 1st page on this link for how I fix them. Deliscious:
http://www.whitetaildeer.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3161538
Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

My 11 yr old son has this interest in shooting squirrels, and apparently I can't quell it. LOL [8D]

Anyhow, since he has been getting some....I am looking for a recipe that will make them edible. I am not a squirrel hunter and have never cooked one in my life, but have eaten them before and honestly, they sucked.

I told him if he's gonna kill them, we're gonna eat them. Its not just blast 'em because its fun.

Please help me out here guys....I have no idea what to do with them and don't trust some recipe out of a book that has never been tried.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike
This isn't a recipe but you could use it.

This is good,

http://www.dropshots.com/videolink.php?use...amp;showVideo=1

I hope you like it, and can use it.

jrbsr

Old 12-02-2008, 03:58 PM

The best compliment you can give squirrel is that it doesn't taste like squirrel. Keep that in mind. Have fun cleaning 'em. They can be really agravating.
First comment. What is the point of eating squirrel if you want to try to mask the taste because you don't like it? I mean, if you want it to taste like beef (which, obviously you do since you added beef bouilon cubes to it) then why not just add a little beef to it? I know the economy is bad... but beef isn't THAT high.

Secondly, squirrels are super easy to clean, if you use the right method. Just cut through the base of the tail and peel it up along the spine towards the front arms, pull the front arms through and pull it all the way over the head, and cut the neck (completely through). Then, peel off the remaining fur on the back legs in a similar fashion. Only takes 2 minutes or so to do by yourself, at most.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: sngehl01

The best compliment you can give squirrel is that it doesn't taste like squirrel. Keep that in mind. Have fun cleaning 'em. They can be really agravating.
First comment. What is the point of eating squirrel if you want to try to mask the taste because you don't like it? I mean, if you want it to taste like beef (which, obviously you do since you added beef bouilon cubes to it) then why not just add a little beef to it? I know the economy is bad... but beef isn't THAT high.

Secondly, squirrels are super easy to clean, if you use the right method. Just cut through the base of the tail and peel it up along the spine towards the front arms, pull the front arms through and pull it all the way over the head, and cut the neck (completely through). Then, peel off the remaining fur on the back legs in a similar fashion. Only takes 2 minutes or so to do by yourself, at most.
Doing it this way only takes about 20 seconds. --> http://www.dropshots.com/videolink.php?use...amp;showVideo=1

Old 12-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! I'll try some soon I guess...

And jrbsr....THANK YOU for that video...that is awesome! I always just cut them across the back and peeled from there. Seemed to fight itthe whole way, fox squirrels being worse. That will make life MUCH easier!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:21 PM

Doing it this way only takes about 20 seconds. --> http://www.dropshots.com/videolink.p...mp;showVideo=1
I was trying to explain it that way, I never thought to hold them up like that, I always did them on the ground like that.

Either way, that's the best method to use. Good video.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Here's one that I use:

Cut the squirrel into pieces and then brown the pieces in oil in a fry pan, but don't cook through. Load up a crockpot with squirrel pieces, veggies (I usually use potatoes, carrots, onion and celery), add a clove or two of garlic, a can of cream of whatever soup (mushroom is the best, but chicken or broccoli or whatever is good too) and a half a can of milk or water. Cook on low for at least 8 hours. I usually do this when I have to work all day and I've cooked in the crockpot for as long as 12-14 hours.

Then remove the squirrel pieces which will be really hard because they are so tender they fall apart. Discard the bone pieces and add the meat back to the crockpot. Serve over biscuits or mashed potatoes or noodles. Yummy!!!!!