Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyotes at night

Old 01-08-2002, 09:00 PM

Default RE: Coyotes at night

Do any of you use GAME FINDER?
That is one of those flashlight like looking hunting gadgets that detects infrared heat off critters. Cabella's Mag. sells um.
Nice VCR tape comes with it showing how to find shot critters.

It is supposed to be used to find downed game after you shot it. Soon I'm sure it will be illegal to have one in possession because it works wonders finding live game.

Today's coyotes (game too) doesn't run from us. I've shot boar not 50' away. Game Finder said it was there. I kept looking and looking and looking and finally I could make out the boar for the shot.

Game Finder says coyote is on hillside as you walk along. Not 35-yds away, Hey, I swear you will have a tough time picking out the coyote from the rocks. I hate that when you can't tell so walk to it and a rock gets up and bolts off.

Good for deer too. Got my deer this year not 50 yds. away, standing still frozen in place. And it took me awhile to visualize the deer for the shot.

Setting up for coyote calling, we never see them come in as a rule. Game Finder lets you know, something is out there coming in and where.

Lights: I bought that night light for mounting on a rifle from Cabella's.
Ohhhh Gawd, with red lens in, 100 yards away and scope, piece of cake.
nohunt
Old 01-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Fork Horn

In South Dakota it is legal to hunt yotes at night but you cant use any artifical light.
Ive never tried it but it sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Old 01-09-2002, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

super mag,it realy isn't that dangerous as long as people use common sense.i don't ever recall of hearing about about an accident from night time coon or predator hunters here in N.Y. and its been legal for as long as i can remember.but then again there isn't that many people out there doing it.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

since i cant use artificial light. will the a full moon be bright enough to shoot by though?
Old 01-10-2002, 03:18 AM
Typical Buck

with a full moon and no snow its still kinda hard to see without lights,but can be done.your best bet is to wait till there is some snow.when hunting full moon nights with snow cover,daylight hunting stratagies apply.