Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Closest you have ever called in a coyote? >

Closest you have ever called in a coyote?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Closest you have ever called in a coyote?

Old 04-03-2003, 08:26 AM

Default Closest you have ever called in a coyote?

I have called coyotes in to within 10 feet of me on three different occasions, total of 6 dogs, I shot 2 of the 6. I had 2 of them within 3 feet, I could have reached out and touched them and they had no idea I was there.
I can get interesting in a hurry when you call in a pack on the run from behind you and you hear them running before you see them
Old 04-03-2003, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Closest you have ever called in a coyote?

Yah Noway, it can some times get heart stopping real quick. I' ve only had one close enough to pet it, he showed up before I could finish my first set of dieing bunny blues, took me by total surprise, and have had numerous occasions with them inside about 15 ft. Several of them I got bark stopped for a shot and a few of them I shot in self defence, and I missed my fair share of those. You just can never forget those really close encounters, can you. Not that you' d ever want to, they make for some great storys. The story on the one I could' ve petted goes like this. I was in N.E. Ks. calling with one of my brothers, we walked into a draw that had big white rock boulders along the hill side over looking to slough draws. I sat down against one of the big rocks, my brother to my left about 35 yrds. I had two big rocks right beside my right side with a gap about 8" between them. I did one series off calls, and I hear something, I look to my right, and he is looking right at me in that 8" gap right beside me. Well, it took him a second or two to figure OH OH, and it took me a second or two to get my whits straight. When he ran, he went toward the front of both of us, my brother got off two shots also, on my third shot, I rolled him up. I can still see him peering from between those rocks at me.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:09 PM

Called one in a night while setting in a brush pile, had him in my lap. SCARED me to half to death, my hunting partner thought it was really neat.[] Needless to say he got clean away.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where to start...coyotes around here don' t know man, so they don' t fear us.

Once two years ago, we were night calling on a bluff, had dead cattle and our caller below us, laying belly down just backed off the edge of the bluff, dang coyote came in from up the side of the rock ledge beside me, he got shot while standing on my back!!

Bout five years ago now, my dad got bit on the shoulder as we waited in a grass meadow ambush.

Around 8years ago now, I was night hunting on a round bale line with rabbit blood rubbed all over my legs for scent cover/attractant. I had a yote come up and nip the ankle cuff of my overalls.

All three were rather hair raising experiences, but they sure make for exciting hunts. That' s why I bought a coach gun, you don' t need a scope or even a rifle to shoot something off your front porch!!
Old 04-05-2003, 12:02 PM

when ur dad got bit did he have to have shots then? that would have scared the crap out of me if it was on my back and it got shot, great stories, who_else
Old 04-05-2003, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nomercy, I hope you weren' t wearing some sort of " bitch in heat' lure when that one was on your back Now that is getting the action good and close. If you were wearing some sort of lure, that would make one heck of a testamonial for that product and it would make a believer out of me about how well those lures work. I' ve never been much for trying to fool the nose of a coyote!
Old 04-16-2003, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only lures I usually use are natural, it' s pretty gross, but I always use real bait, dead rabbits mostly, but hunting over dead cattle is great, I' ll usually cut them open and half gut them to get a LOT of smell going, and then wipe my latex gloves off on the same pair of coveralls (man alive do they stink). I wash them after every use without detergent, so they aren' t alive or anything, but they don' t smell like people anymore. The night the one got shot off my back I had just dropped a deer that morning, and butchered it in those coveralls then had to birth calves and I opened the cow below us, needless to say I had a lot of rather appealing scents on me for yote hunting (not so much for skirt chasing though, oh well, hunting cost less than a girlfriend anyhow<----hope my fiance doesn' t read this!!)

Yes, my dad did have all of his shots (tetanus that is) and we killed the yote and sent it' s head in to make sure it didn' t have rabies.