Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Called In First Coyote-Then Missed!

Old 01-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Called In First Coyote-Then Missed!

This is the first year I have ever tried Coyote Hunting. I purchased a new Rifle (Browning 7mm-08) which I just got sighted in this weekend. I also recently purchased a set of the Sceery soft bite mouth calls (eastern type) that has a rodent distress and two cottontail distress.

I went out yesterday at about noon and decided to try calling from a tower blind that is on our hunting property. I had seen alot of coyote tracks in this area and I wanted to see what would happen. I climbed into the blind and waited about 10 minutes before I started calling. I used the rodent distress call and did a calling sequence for about 1 minute. I began to scan the whole awwoded area I was in and was looking in the direction that I thought would be the most likely for a coyote to come in from. After about 5 minutes, I looked to the right and there was a coyote walking across the logging road about 40 yards away! needless to say I was suprised that they responded so fast. I waited until it got behind a tree then raised my rifle and waited for a shot. He started moving along the crest of a bank and I could see the top half of the animal. I picked what I was the best place to shoot and fired. I didnt see the yote then I stood up and saw him running about 60 yards away. I MISSED!

He then proceeded to circle back around and I saw him again at about 100 yards away (walking) and had not clear shot. I gave a couple of soft blows on the call and it did get his attention. He did look back in my direction the scurried off in the other direction.

I basically screwed up and took the shot to quickly. I should have waited for a better shot.
While I did not make the kill, It was a successful hunt for me being new to coyote hunting and being able to call it in. I am now totally hooked on it and plan on take a vaction day this week to go hunting! Has anyone else hunted them from tower blinds or treestands? I would be interested to hear what everyones thoughts are on this.

MIKE
Old 01-17-2005, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Called In First Coyote-Then Missed!

Welcome to the fun I call yote hunting

LOL They come in fast some times ,I set up in a shallow ditch several years ago and had 1 almost run me over ,I had just started calling no idea where it came from.
I never got a shot ,not sure witch of us was more scaired.

That same yote may come in again ,but probely not to the same call.

Good luck
Old 01-17-2005, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

you will have more chances just keep trying!!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Happened to me my first time, too. I set up to call, then the wind shifted and I moved after about 3 calls. I sat down, looked through my binoculars, and a coyote ran up about 10 feet from me. He was looking at where I had made the call, not noticing me directly to his right. He sure caught me with my pants down. I started to slowly reach for my rifle, then he noticed me. We stared at each other for a minute, motionless. Then he took off and I tried to make a quick shot. I missed. Me and the coyote both received an education that day. I didn't realize one would rush in that fast. Now I know better. You learn something every time you go out, getting a little better each time.