Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

SORRY! Closest ever??

Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default SORRY! Closest ever??

Ok, mhy recent post has stirred up some controversy and has obviously made me and my friend look like unethical hunters, which we are NOT! SwampCollie brought up an awesome point..... closer shots are hard to come by, so I ask you now.... the closest incounter/shot you've ever had with a turkey.
-personally I have been literally just a mear 2 feet from a hen, and the closest ive ever taken a bird was at just 6 yrds. And both those were NOT out of a blind.
Again, I am not an unethical hunter, maybe my last post wasn't the greatest, but I look forward to hear your answers to this question.........
Old 05-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SORRY! Closest ever??

I think the closest I have been to a turkey was about 10 yards and the closest I have ever taken one was about 15 yards.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

8 yards... opening day this year!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first bird I ever took was without decoys and without a blind. I was calling and the bird came into sight and started running right at me and I waited until he slowed down and it was about 7 steps. I have never gotten a gobler that close again but I have had a few hens within 5 steps. This post is much safer then the other tiger!!
Old 05-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

8 yds, and I missedfor a gobbler.
I've had hens just a few feet from me.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: tigerw10

Ok, mhy recent post has stirred up some controversy and has obviously made me and my friend look like unethical hunters, which we are NOT!
Again, I am not an unethical hunter
Never stated you or your friend was unethical. I'm sure you are not. Just said the decision your friend made was not a really good one. He got lucky. You weren't the one who took the shot, so I really wasn't even questioning you. Friends don't let friends take bad shots, right?BTW, my closest shot was about 13 yards.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I missed the unethical thread I guess.

Far as whats the closest I have had both toms and hens touch me while turkey hunting. Hens on the boot tops, pecking the back of my vest from behind the tree, and toms strutting by an Oak tree wing tips brushing the legs. When you dont hunt out of a blind, stuff like this happens espescially if you hunt in tight cover like we do here in the southern swamps. Sit still and hunt long enough around here and your bound to bump into em espescially a cluck and purr hunter. I've seen whole flocks of hens decend on our set ups and mingle with in feet for hours at a time.Sit still, be a tree and watch what wild turkey do.

Far as how close, I have seen them shot at less than a yard. Real exciting stuff! You either clobber em or you miss. I prefer to shoot em 20-30 yards myself, but it dont always go down like that. Sometimes they end up in your lap. Those are the most exciting turkey hunts far as I am concerned.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Fork Horn

That is some intense stuff hatracked ! I cant even imagine shooting one at less thatn a yard, wow. Sounds like you have had some great hunting experiences. Awesome, thanks for sharing!!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

I know SuperStrutter... I just wanted to clear it up. It's all cool. Thanks for replying.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:52 AM

My closest shot happened yesterday when i shot a Jake at about 5 yds, the hen was only 3 hens from me, i would of took the 2 toms behind the jake but i didnt have a shot at them and i was afraid that the jake and hen would see me. So i took the shot and killed my first bird(Androndack Turkey).

Quick Reply: SORRY! Closest ever??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.