Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How do I start?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 AM

Default How do I start?

Hey yall,

I'm new to the forums. My name is Jenni and I'm a 21 year old college student in south GA. I'm a Wildlife major at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College. I didn't know where else to post this, but I need some advice/guidance. I have never hunted before in my life but I really want to start. I don't really have anyone to show me though (no one in my immediate family hunts). I want to start out on small game. Do I need to have someone show me the ropes first or can I just start hunting on my own? I'm a little embarrassed to ask anyone to help me since I'm 21 years old... not 10. Since I have never been exposed to hunting before it all just seems a little daunting!

Thanks for any advice,
Jenni
Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How do I start?

Jenny, get a hold of your states department of wildlife and ask them when and where they hold "hunter safety" courses. These courses will cover things such as game identification, safe gun handling, will probably have some sort of "hands on" gun shooting, etc. You will need to pass the coursefirst before doing any hunting, and there's a high probability that you will be able to get more of your questions answered while taking the course. May evenmeet some new friends that can help you get started suddessfully.
Good luck and welcome to the ranks.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 what Howler said.

If you have no experience at all, find a hunter safety course and enroll first. Ask a lot of questions and maybe try to get and know some of the other people. It is better to have someone "show you the ropes" but I started hunting on my own after taking a safety course and doing some research. I started with groundhog & squirrel hunting on my own with a .22- made lots of mistakes, but learned a lot. The important thing is that you know all the hunting regs. and practice good safety.

Another possibility is to ask around at your college and see if anyone hunts- you might be able to find someone to go hunting with that way.
Good luck!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Spike

wow, your going to abac, thats cool im going there starting next year after graduation and all, i live near savannah. tought myself how to hunt at about 13 started on squirrels with a pellet rifle but soon upgraded to a 22 rifle. I can def. tell you that you are in the right place for learning i came to this site when i first waslearning to huntgood luckim sure you will learn quickly
Old 11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

If you have the opportunity to go with someone that has experience I would take it if I was you, but you realy don't have to be a "pro" hunter to be able to harvest small game. I agree that you should first take a hunters education course , mainly for your own safety and the safety of others around you. So your a wildlife major, anything a little more specific, like a wildlife biologist or wildlife managment. Just curious, my major is Conservation Law-Enforcement and hope to become a Conservation officer someday Good luck to ya!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Get a .22 first because you can get a good .22 for not too much money and you can get 400 rounds of ammo for the price of 20 rounds of other calibers.

Even though some states don't require a hunter safety course if you are over 18, take the advice of the other posters and take one anyways. You may find that the instructors or volunteers may be willing to give you more advice than just what they are required to teach.

Shoot your .22 lots and lots and then shoot more. You will want to spend time shooting targets but will want to do something more exciting like shooting soda cans that aren't always at a set distance and move around a bit when you hit them.

You might want to join a gun club (you might have to anyways to get range access) There's always someone at the gun club or shooting range willing to give advice. Just make sure you watch them a bit before asking or taking their advice because there's just as much bad advice as good advice out there if not more.

Squirrels, gophers (ground squirrels), and stuff like that make good starter game. You'll have to check your state regulations to see if you need a license for the animals you want to harvest.

Have Fun!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

all these post are good advice,the only thing I can add is get access to some land and go hunting if you are hunting squirrels just go set in the woods and be quiet and watch it wont take long for the woods to settle back down and the animals to start back moving around in search of food and then the game begins.You can wait for them to get close enough or try to sneak up into range either way they are a very challenging target and fun to hunt .Good luck andenjoy the outdoors!!! and be safe!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies!

I will definitely enroll in a Hunter Education course. And I'm saving up for my own .22 (I borrow my dad's to target shoot). As for being a Wildlife major, Roadkillwarrior, I am getting my A.A.S. in Wildlife Technology (management). Probably the highest degree I'll get is a B.A.S. in Wildlife Management. I'd like to have a Masters or a Doctorate, but then that would entail sitting at a desk writing reports... and I'd rather be outdoors doing hands-on stuff!

SlyInTheWoods, you will love ABAC! It is a great college. Make sure you join the Forestry & Wildlife Club immediately!! It is the best club on campus!

Jenni
Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM

While you are looking into hunter safety courses see if there are any Women in the Outdoors events offered nearby. These events are for adult women who are interested in getting involved in outdoor activities such as: shooting, hunting, fishing etc. Also talk with your fellow students in the Forestry/Wildlife Club. I am sure there would be someone who would loved to have some one to go hunting with them.