Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Wher do i satrt in terms of predators? >

Wher do i satrt in terms of predators?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Wher do i satrt in terms of predators?

Old 10-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wher do i satrt in terms of predators?

I know ive stated time and time again that im going to buy a gun, but now, the funding begins. Heres what i need a gun to do. Be accurate enough to hunt all predators (in ohio) out to 300yds tops. there just arent that many places around wher i liver that go even that far. It needs to be a low price, somewher below $400, preferably with glass. I have calls, so i dont need much there. Now another big question, bipod, or sticks? Im thinking sticks. So what do you think? Help is appreciated.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wher do i satrt in terms of predators?

Stevens 200 or Savage (Same gun pretty much) in .223 or .243. The Savage can be bought in a package deal with a cheap Simmons 3-9 that will get you started. Can always upgrade the scope later on. Last Savage package gun (with accu-trigger) that I bought was $354.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Spike

I would go Savage out of those two. But, I would look at the local pawns shops a bit. Also The .243Win is my choice because though it is not a "cool" cartridge that's be cause it is old, and it is old but still used which means it has proved it's worth.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 PM

I have a savage .223 over a 12 ga shotgun, enjoy the gun for coyotes but I hunt a lot of thick cover. As for shooting sticks or bipod, I'd go with shooting sticks, you're able to position them closer to the trigger of the gun so it's easier to cover more ground without moving the sticks. I had a bipod last season but found if a coyote didn't enter from whereI through it was difficult to lift and reposition quickly and quietly expecially in snow. Also anything that slides together I had trouble with it freezing up.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

If you are just going to hunt coyotes with it the 223 is all you need at that range,and as #40 fan said the stevens model 200 will serve you well for around $300 new and you can get a decent scope with the rest of the money.The stevens 200 is a savage without the accutrigger and a very dependable rifle I owned one years ago and it was a good basic rifle.The 243 is a great caliber,butfur damage will be pretty likely at any range and that much power isn't needed for a coyote under 300 yards however if you can deer hunt with a rifle in your state the 243 would be a great all purpose gun for both species.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

I think, i am going to look for a stevens 200 in .223 in ohio, your not aloowed to hunt deer with rifles, so that would be out of the question. Is there anything wrong with tasco optics? I know, there not high quality, but theres nothing high quality, about belly-crawling the the top of a ridge, to shoot a yote on the other side. I think, im just going to get a tasco 3-9x40. That should be plenty. Thanks guys.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

A 3x9x40 is plenty of magnification for calling,I used to use a 6x24x50 on one of my rifles and found out that I had way to much scope for the usually close shots on a coyote rushing to the call,here in KY they usually get close before you see them so now I have a 4x12x40 on my coyote gun and it's plenty for here in the eastern half,I also have a 3x9x40 on another gun that I use for predators and it's plenty.I have killed more dogs on 3 or 4 power than on higher settings.They are a lot easier to find on lower magnifications at 10 feet away,even if all you see is a furry wall in your scope.GOOD LUCK!!!