Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Bow hunting for Coyotes

Old 03-21-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Bow hunting for Coyotes

Looking to maybe do a little bowhunting for coyotes. I would have to get a light for my sight, but am unsure if it would cause problems with them seeing me. Anyone have any advice for me on this?
How about using a treestand? Ground blind better?
Thanks
Old 03-21-2003, 06:41 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow hunting for Coyotes

You will likely have to use a ground blind or a tree stand. There is no way you will be able to draw a bow and aim at a coyote that is within bow range. Are you planning on doing this at night? The coyote is going to run off unless you spine him. They can be hard to recover when bowshot.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Mez, no disrespect meant, but that' s probably been said about every animal with a bow. If properly shot with a sharp broadhead, it can be done. If a bow can take down a moose, it can sure knock the snot out of a coyote. You' re right, it can be hard to draw on a coyote at bow range, that' s a part of bowhuntin, but it is possible. No disrespect meant, but I resent your sentiment. As far as hunting at night, if you' re using a light anyways and have fiber optic sights, would you need to use lighted sights? I believe those are illegal here in Ohio anyways.

Brandan
Old 03-22-2003, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

bowhunting coyotes in my book is the ultimate challange,it can be done but most likly will be the hardaest thing you have ever done in the hunting woods.as far as a light goes,if its not real intense and its covered with a red or amber lens(red is better)it will not spook them.if your thinking of trying this alone then your problably wasting your time.it is best to do this with a partner,he does the calling and you(the shooter)sits down wind.the only way this might work by yourself is with a remote eclectronic caller.again a tree stand might work good if a caller is up wind and you are not sky lined in any way.not being sky lined up a tree in the winter months is nearly impossible.when a coyote is responding to a distress call his sences are extremly tuned in,he will most likly pick your outline in a tree long before being in range.a ground blind(be it natural or man made)might be the ticket here.this will give you important cover when making a draw.just make sure the blind blends in naturalyone final note,you might want to check your game laws about putting a light on your bow.or even using a bow at night.there maybe restrictions in place.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

It can be done! I arrowed two coyotes this last fall that were called in, from the ground, no blind, in the day time! I' d also recomend double teaming them. One person sets up for a shot, try to look at the surrounding area and often you can almost guess where the coyote will most likely come in at, then set up the caller away from the shooter, the more distance the better, but it helps if the caller can see the shooter so that he can communicate with him. Having the shooter away from the caller helps alot, because the coyotes are very good at pinpointing the source of the sound, so the callers job is to keep the coyotes attention so that the shooter can get drawn. Also, if there is some ground clutter such as bushes, trees, tall weeds in the area, this helps the shooter have opportunites to get drawn without being seen. Obviously, using an electronic call would also work like having the second person doing the calling, BUT, I firmly beleive that a person, with good calling skills, can work a coyote in much better by being able to only call when it' s need and to vary the volume as needed. I used mech. broadheads from a 70# bow, 80% letoff. I' ve never hunted them at night, so can' t comment on that aspect of it. Calling coyotes is not hard, but calling them and getting them with a bow is in a league of its own. Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2003, 08:06 AM

Thanks guys, I am just trying to come up with some new ideas for the rest of the year too keep me busy.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:11 PM

Woody,
Check out Predatormasters.com. That is a site all about predator hunting, you should be able to get lots of good info on your topic. There are many professional coyote hunters there and many of the call makers there as well, great site.
You got some good responses here as well, but if you are looking for more you may want to check it out.

If you have never called coyotes before don' t get discouraged if it turns out to be a little tougher than you may have imagined. Stay at it and they will come in eventually. If you have then you know the challenge you are in for with the bow.

Calling coyotes in to the bow should be interesting, like the previous posters said you will need to set up a distraction (decoy maybe) or use cover to cover your movement. It is amazing how fast a coyote picks up movement.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just something to think about that may help with bowhunting for coyotes. You might try doing what alot of people here in Georgia do when bowhunting for turkey. Set up facing away from where you want the coyote to come from (like sit on the opposit side of a tree) put up decoys behind you, and set (if legal) the e-call behind the decoys. I suppose it works with hand calls too. But the basic layout makes the coyote come past you while he' s focused on something else (the decoys) giving you a shot while he' s facing away from you. I' ve never done it and I' m not a coyote expert, but it seems like it would work.
Old 04-12-2003, 04:21 PM

buy some sledgehammer broadheads, i can' t remember who makes them but i do know thet work great. they' re a 3/12" cutting diameter mech.