Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help With Hunting Coyotes

Old 10-04-2005, 02:03 PM

Default Help With Hunting Coyotes

ok well i just got off the phone and there is abnormail amount of yotes upIn The U.P. of michigan by there house and they are gettin in to everything running around right by the house and they are worried about there dogs and just the fact that they are all around there so what i was woundering is how would i go about hunting them i have never done it befor but would love to try also there is a whole lot of wolfs so what is the best way to tell them apart in the woods

questions

1. what kind of gun would you use i can use a 30 30 which is mine i have acces to about 3 06's a couple 22's and also sum shot guns

2.what would you do to get them to come in to you and would you hunt on a powerline that is clear

3. what is the best time to hunt them if at night what do you use to see them and not spook them

4. what doyou do with theyote once you kill it

5. also anyone in michigan this one is for you what kind ofpermit do you need to hunt them

Thanks Everyone for you help
Old 10-04-2005, 07:01 PM

Default RE: Help With Hunting Coyotes

1. 22-250 or 243 is what i used.
2. sit and wait and if you're lucky you'll see one...or 4. you could also call them, but i have no experience with calling.
3. depends when they are out looking for food. oddly the 5 coyotes that were hunted by me and my girlfriend's dad were shot at all different times. 10am - 9pm was the range.
4. skin it if you want to sell the fur. eastern coyote fur isnt worth as much as western, but you might get more if you wait for their winter coat to come in. the carcus went to the bone pile for me.
5. not sure about michigan. in ohio, the law is no limit, all year round. you need a general hunting permit though.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Spike

1. .308 win.
2. predator call, I use a Primos cottontail distress call, Sceery makes some good ones too
3. Here in AZ the best times are early morning or evening
4. Take some pictures of it, skin it if you want, maybe keep the skull for bleaching, leave it for other predators too eat, perfectly legal here
5. AZ just requires a general hunting license, no season, no limit, I've heard of ranchers paying X amount per yote to thin their property
Old 10-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot a 22-250 and use the primos call. Just leave them where they lay, some other critter will take care of them. I don't hunt them that often, just when their numbers seem to be getting up. In my area, the best places to hunt them are around swamps and the edges of fields.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:00 PM

i shoot a savage model 12FV single shot .204 cal with winchester JHP's
www.savagearms.com/12fvsingleshot.htm

i use a cass creek electronic caller (predetor I) with the amplifier

i can go outside tonight and with a pack of warm deer burger have 50 in an hour.. . . 100 yds from myfront porch. . .between 7pm and 8:30pm or later

in the winter (december / january) i'll get the same amount of coyotes in the same place (distance) but at 3-4pm !!

the .204 drops them dead and has no recoil. . . . and few if ever exit wounds. . . plus if ya plan on keeping the hides there is very little if any damage to the pelt ! ! !

you can also shoot one and use that carcass to bait the next group of unlucky coyotes ! !!

shoot em dead!!
Old 10-22-2005, 09:32 PM

There are some good hunters here, but some other good info about coyote hunting is on this forum:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com